Why is Dificid so expensive?!!!

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Ygy
Regular User

Why is Dificid so expensive?!!!

Postby Ygy » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:22 pm

Can someone please explain why there is no generic form of Dificid and why it is so expensive?

I’ve already used the coupon and it’s maxed out.

I’m in the United States and my husband works at Mayo Clinic. They have their own insurance called mayo medical insurance and it is still thousands of dollars with insurance.

If you’re in the USA what insurance do you have where Dificid has been covered? We are considering switching.

Thank you

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Why is Dificid so expensive?!!!

Postby beth22 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:35 pm

When I worked a few years ago, my employer had Anthem Blue Cross and my co-pay for Dificid was $50.

Ygy
Regular User

Postby Ygy » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:30 am

Thank you!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:10 pm

Because it's the newest drug and the cost of developing and testing runs into tens-hundreds of millions of $$$.
Probably costs $10 to make now but the historic costs have to be covered.
It's patent will be protected so the pharmacy company can get their investment back so generic won't be allowed for many years.

I doubt if switching insurance would work as existing conditions are usualy excluded.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:50 pm

Dificid is very expensive for the reason Roy has mentioned. Good news is the patent is up January 2028. I have BC/BS of CA and they would only pay for 1 10 day treatment. I needed 2 refills. Shop around. I found a pharmacy that was able to get me a deal for $900. For me that was a deal.

Now I am hoping I don't need it until a generic comes out as I head onto Medicare this year.

It is SAD when the only targeted drug is crazy expensive.

NanciT

Return to “Treatments”