C. Difficile vaccine

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
PamO
New User

C. Difficile vaccine

Postby PamO » Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:24 pm

I have been following the news on this and was hoping that by now we would know whether Pfizer has filed for authorization, but I guess that has not been decided yet.

There are mixed results for this trial, which initially I thought were a "fail", however the more I contemplate this, the bigger my hope that they will file for authorization and get approved.

The quick summary of the results: Pfizer recently announced that a Clostridioides difficile (C. difficile) vaccine candidate did not meet its primary endpoint of C. difficile infection (CDI) prevention, but was 100- percent effective in preventing medically attended CDI and reduced overall severity. The study talks about a reduction of symptoms from a mean duration of 16 days to 3 days, while also decreasing severity. Also not bad. What do you think?

https://pharmanewsintel.com/news/pfizer ... 20severity.

roy
Administrator

Re: C. Difficile vaccine

Postby roy » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:29 am

I have been following the vaccine development since 2007.
My thoughts now are.
Not in our lifetime.

PamO
New User

Postby PamO » Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:41 am

Roy,
I am also skeptical but still hope we are both wrong!
I'd take it if it makes it to market.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:08 pm

If it ever comes to fruition it will probably only be offered to the vulnerable ones who are going into hospital and have never been infected.
If you have already had C.Diff it will not be available to you.
Vaccine will not prevent c. Diff but it will educate the body not to react to it.
Much the same as tetanus (another Clostridium).
If you have already had c. Diff and recovered quickly you already have the immunity that the vaccine will offer.

PamO
New User

Postby PamO » Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:40 pm

Interesting, tell me more! I have found very little information and research on this topic. I have always thought that having had cdiff and recovered should provide immunity, yet, those who have had cdiff appear to be at greater risk for future infections. I would think this may also have something to do with being able to elimate the bacteria completely.

Maybe those 30% of individuals in the study who were immune to infection correlates to 30%ish in the population that has had an infection and developed immunity (?).

Also, it wouldn't make sense to offer a vaccine to people going into the hospital since it requires 3 shots. And also, not all cdiff is acquired in the hospital.

I had a mild case, although I could tell that my gut sustained some significant damage and has not returned to pre cdiff (but still not a reason to complain,, simply an observation,) which was completely non sensitive to anything. I have often wondered what my immunity, if any, would be. Retrospect I should have probably waited to treat, but I knew nothing about this illness at the time and rushed it due to the advice of a well meaning friend who is a doc of internal medicine. I didn't have a relapse.

With Tetanus vaccines it has been found that they are a lot more protective than was assumed for decades.

Lissaucd
Regular Contributor

Postby Lissaucd » Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:15 am

Roy maybe you can explain- if we already had c diff we have immunities? But then why do people get it again year later?

Return to “Treatments”