Probiotics

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Jess123
Brand New Poster

Probiotics

Postby Jess123 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:58 pm

I have been recovering from an FMT for 4 weeks now. I began taking florastor (Saccharomyces boulardii) but am having IBS symptoms and have read that Align (bifidobacterium infantis) really helps with symptom relief. Has anyone else taken multiple probiotics at the same time or any advice? I was thinking of taking one in the morning and one at night. Thanks for any help!

Lid49
Regular Contributor

Re: Probiotics

Postby Lid49 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:42 am

Hi,
Probiotic after Fmt is based on your Dr advice. If you have the ok most people used Vsl#3. Florastol. Ask your DR if you can have enteragam , this product help me with IBS symtoms after Fmt.
It will get better , stay positive.
Lidia.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:26 am

Most doctors do not recommend probiotics after FMT because they have a theory that the pill bacteria can compete with the natural bacteria received from FMT. However , they recommend a fiber supplement to help feed your new starter culture and help them multiply.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:40 am

Agree with Georgina, cut the probiotics and add fiber gradually. Check with your doc first.

fishrman
Regular User

Postby fishrman » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:08 pm

My Dr. was actually a Nurse Practitioner, but I think she made a proper diagnosis and put me on high powered antibiotic that seems to have helped. I am about 10 days past taking it but still having issues like it seems everyone else has. She did not tell me what probiotics to take. I told her I was trying to eat live culture yogurt and she thought that was good but really was no help in the way of telling me anything regarding probiotic medications to take. Is there any that you know is "live" and in a pill that helps? Do they make a prescription Probiotic?? Seems to be a mystery as to how to help people with this terrible disease!

Gaconch
New User

Postby Gaconch » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:53 am

I took Florastor 4 times a day at the same time I took my Vanco. Since it’s a yeast and not a bacteria probiotic it does not get killed by the Vanco. It’s been 2 weeks today since my 2nd round of Vanco and I can say I feel “cured”. No D or M. I feel so much better. I’m back to eating whatever I want. But I’m still taking 1 gram of Florastor a day. After another few weeks I’m going to cut it in half and see how I do.

fishrman
Regular User

Postby fishrman » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:00 am

So glad to hear Gaconch! You must be doing something right! I am still taking one Florastor twice a day along with one Lactobacillus rhanmnosus gg (10 billion ) and trying to eat sour kraut and whatever else I can find with probiotics. Most recently, Kefir drinks made by Lifeway. I read a very positive study done by those who used Kefir.

Gaconch
New User

Postby Gaconch » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:05 pm

Yes, I forgot to add that I also have been drinking Lifeway Kefir. I was drinking 5 oz 3 times a day.

fishrman
Regular User

Postby fishrman » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:55 pm

So, one really doesn't know if the Kefir helped or the Florastor but either way----we got to try something---right?

Gaconch
New User

Postby Gaconch » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:43 am

I’m believe the combination is what helped. If you research the yeast in Florastor increases your cure rate. They believe the yeast actually destroys the bacteria.

fishrman
Regular User

Postby fishrman » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:01 am

Not sure the yeast actually kills the c. diff but rather the yeast based probiotics help to take over in the digestive tract so the c. diff are overwhelmed with good bacteria. ???

Ncrlsbd
Brand New Poster

Postby Ncrlsbd » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:26 pm

Brand 1 MD Complete Probiotic Platinum- by far the best all in one probiotic. 51 Billion- 11 strains. Nothing better in quality. Helped me tremendously.

JohnXYZ
Brand New Poster

Postby JohnXYZ » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:48 pm

I am a male, born in 1951. In the Summer and Fall of 2014, I contracted cDiff diarrhea. I had three severe episodes. One resulted in a hospital stay of five days; another a stay of three days. In December of 2014 I had an FMT at St. Luke's Hospital in Houston. I was wasting away - losing so much weight. The FMT saved my life!

Even after the FMT, I was plagued by large wet/loose stools, stained underwear, a sore butt, stomach cramps and an inability to fart properly. No fun, but a private matter I was able to keep to myself. (Such problems existed prior to cDiff and the FMT too, just not as bad.) Unwanted weight loss was always chasing me. Inability to eat, due to intense discomfort, was always a threat.

I feel better now Here is what I can tell you, looking back from the perspective of today - 2018.

First, the only product I could find to stop this problem was Saccharomyces boulardii. I started taking this product 2x in the AM and again 2x in the PM, in early 2018. I have felt normal ever since that time. No stool problems. If I stop taking this product, the loose stools, sore butt, dirty underwear, weight loss et cetera start again with in a day or two.

I am guessing there are more success stories just like mine. But site visitors who are cured, as I seem to be, are unlikely to provide a post such as mine as they are busy with their lives.

fishrman
Regular User

Postby fishrman » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:04 pm

JohnXYZ, Glad to hear of your success! Interesting!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:57 pm

Hello John XYZ

You may want to put your story under "Success stories". I also had CDIFF March 2014, which I had for 1 year. It's great the Florestor worked so well for you, we mention it on the site often, I was allergic to it but was able to take VSL#3 which is also a very good probiotic.

Thanks for posting, we love having more and more stories of success!

NanciT

Return to “Treatments”