Recurrent UTI and C Diff

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Laura357
Brand New Poster

Recurrent UTI and C Diff

Postby Laura357 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:13 am

Hi everyone, I am 25, have had recurrent urinary tract infections for the past 5 years and have been taking antibiotics as a preventative (as needed). Occasionally, I do get infections and am usually prescribed macrobid. Two months ago I began having GI symptoms and have recently been diagnosed with Cdiff and am now taking flagyl. I also currently have a UTI. My doctor prescribed amoxicillin knowing that I have Cdiff. I was up all last night throwing up. I'm not sure if it's related to the antibiotics or not.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I trust my doctor, but am not 100% confident that it is ok for me to take amoxicillin before (or after) the Cdiff has cleared. And the more I read about Cdiff, the more paranoid I get. I'm anticipating a life of recurrent bouts of Cdiff and UTIs. I have already tried the cranberry juice and additional preventative methods for UTIs. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

elisa
Regular User

Re: Recurrent UTI and C Diff

Postby elisa » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:19 am

What an unfortunate cycle!
My doctors have told me that anytime I am on any type of antibiotics in the future it will need to be paired with Vancomycin to help prevent C Diff.
Flagyl can cause the side effects you're having, it personally made me EXTREMELY nauseous.
I would be very proactive and talk with your doctor and pharmacist regarding any possible interactions, as well as the horrendous side effects you're having, they made need to put you on something else.

Best of luck!!!

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:42 am

Taking Amoxicillin while having active C-Diff is not a good idea. Amoxicillin is an antibiotic that causes great disturbance to the intestinal tract. Macrobid and Doxyclycine are both considered safe drugs. Nether-the-less all antibiotics can cause C-Diff. In my opinion, taking any antibiotic while on Flagyl is like a love triangle!!! Blood work should show the intensity of the infection. If it’s a mild infection, then you may want to refrain from taking those antibiotics. If it’s a severe infection, you may not have a choice in the matter. As far as your active c-diff, there are many treatment methods out there. Once your urinary tract infection does clear, you can concentrate on the C-Diff issues and course of treatment to ensure a complete and successful recovery!!! Good luck to you!!!
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:54 am

Laura,
I agree with the others. Amoxicillin is considered a high offender re. C. diff. See the forum CDI - Antibiotics. Also see CDI - UTI's -- re. things not to do to help prevent UTI's.

I've had recurrent UTI's for years and am on a maintanence dosage of Macrobid (50 mg.) a day. So far, so good, and I am at high risk of C. diff. because of my history (had it twice - once for four years - extenuating circumstances and now probably my age). I am also on an estrogren cream. (I also have IC - google it.) Macrobid can cause C. diff. (any antibiotic can - even Flagyl rarely) but is a low offender.

Some docs. also prescribe Vanco. while you are on another anibiotic. It never worked for me but has for others.

If you are not already doing so, see a urologist. Good luck to you.

Laura357
Brand New Poster

Re: NOT Recurrent UTI and C Diff

Postby Laura357 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:41 pm

Thanks everyone for the advice. I stopped taking the antibiotic and went to a urologist. He told me my last 8 urine cultures came back negative for a UTI. So now I'm trying to find out what the cause of my symptoms actually is. I am now upset with my doctor for neglecting to read my lab results and tell me that I have not had a UTI. I feel like she is responsible for my C Diff, as I have been taking unnecessary antibiotics for years. Anyways, I finished the 10 days of flagyl and am still having c diff symptoms, vomiting, and nausea. But it helps to know that other people understand :)
Thanks again!
-Laura

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:57 pm

My mom had the IC (a typeof cystitis) and it gives the same symptoms as a UTI. I think she was given Detrol to take for it,but I'm not sure if that was it. I would stick with the urologist and have the cause of your symptoms checked out. If you had no bacteria, then all those antibiotics were just a waste to take. I hope they can get to the bottom of this for you soon. If the nausea and vomiting continue, talk to your doctor about whether to change from Flagyl to something else like vanco. You can get vomiting from Flagyl if you take alcohol with it. You probably already know that, but just in case, alcohol is contraindicated with Flagyl.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:28 am

Beth is right. The symptoms of IC are similar to those of having a UTI. Check this out with your urologist.

KateC
Regular Contributor

Postby KateC » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:40 pm

Hi Laura,

After 6 months of this c diff beast and reading night & day I've come to these conclusions( for now-could change!):

Once you have had c diff it is imperative that you take a look at why you have been prescribed antibiotics over the years.
Then look at each problem and see what you can do to prevent it the best you can.

For me I have had antibiotics for frequent UTI's, severe sinus nfections , and dental work- nothing else.
Unless it is a life/death situaiton look up for alternative treatment for your "antibiotic requiring " needs.
For me-- I found that taking Cystex daily has kept my bladder issues in better shape.
Your urinary tract, like the gi tract can have it's good bacteria wiped out-- see a pattern here?
Cystex is like drinking something like 14 glasses or so of unsweetened cranberry juice and it is a probiotic
for the urinary tract-- so it's a keeper for me.

For my sinus problems I do a saline rinse twice a day and use a coilloidal silver nasal spray-- and it works !!!
Sinus Buster is another good one for anyone with sinus problems.... do what you need to do to keep things cleaned out &
infection free.
For dental issues- I had my cardiologist write a note to my dentist releasing the requirment for an antibiotic pre-med.
Now obviously if an infeciton happens-- you have to think it out.
I also got an antimicrobial rinse from my dentist (prescription) that I use before and after dental work-- it does not mess with the natural good flora in the mouth- just the bad stuff.

So this is my plan. And I am hoping I can stick with it.
It does anger me as I'm sure it does many-- why the heck did "I" have to figure this out???
I'm paying docs to use their brain and I have to always figure out the answers-- it's getting very old..

I had a colonoscopy today-- was a nervous reck. Doc says no sign of damage from colitis or any sign of c diff infection but must wait for the path reports. Have been off tapered Vanco since 4/11 and tested negative twice-- keepng fingers crossed.
I brought my little lunch box thingy with my Bio K+ and my other probiotics packed in ice and instructed the nurse to hand it to me quick right after procedure and they did.
When they asked me all the pre-procedure questions and they asked if I was allergic to any meds.. I told them to mark in RED that I am never to be given antibiotics without discussing with myself or my family.
and thats the way it's going to be for me for now on in..

Laura- I hope you get relief from the uti symptoms-- that along with c diff has got to be the worst. If your urologist allows you might try the cystex liquid-- just a tablespoon in a glass of water- easy-- it may help your symptoms somewhat, but do ask the urologist first.
Good luck & feel better !

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:44 am

KateC ,
Smart lady. I do a lot of the same "stuff" - saline rinse twice a day, script rinse before and after dental work, and have "no antibiotics - C. diff." on my medical charts at every doc's office and on a Med Alert card in my wallet. For years I wore a medical alert bracelet but don't anymore.

I still do take Macrobid as a preventative but might try the Cystex. I listed a lot of things in CDI -UTI's "not to do" - no baths, etc. Before C. diff., I only had a UTI once or twice. Now have both chronic UTI's and IC. = despite all the preventatives. With UTI's you are supposed to be careful about acidic foods and drinks - which includes cranberry juice. I do drink wine, however - can't give up everything!

You've learned early what it took me years to learn - you can say "no" to a doctor. You are the ultimate decision maker in your life.

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:13 pm

Kate, I just returned from vacation and have been checking recent posts. I found your most recent post really interesting. Is Coilloidal Silver Nasal Spray an over the counter medication? Secondly, can you find it at common chain stores such as Wal-Mart’s, Target, CVS etc.????? Thanks for your reply!!!!
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

karol123
Regular User

Postby karol123 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:00 pm

amoxicillin is one of the ab's that caused me d and led to c diff. i was taking for what might have been sinus infection but probably head cold lasting longer than usual

KateC
Regular Contributor

Postby KateC » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:19 am

Bobbie- check with your urologist- I really think the Cystex might be of help to you.
I thought I had UC 2 years ago-- ugh -what a nightmare.
Had all the symptoms of constant UTI but no blood which I always had with my UTI's-- but kept testing negative for UTI also..
so went to a urogynocolgist- wonderful doc.
She said I absolutely did not have UC but what I needed was vaginal estrogen. Have not had a UTI or symptoms
of one since.
Just a thought????
Nevertheless, with this c diff saga I assume my immune system is messed up-- also have lupus ( I'm a mess).
So am taking the Cystex mostly because the info says it is a probiotic for the urinary tract.

Kathy- I got my colloidal silver at a Natural pharmacy.
The pharmacist there is a certified naturopath & I see him periodically for all my "issues" and he
offers advice regarding supplements etc.
I did a search tonight & there are many good colloidal silver vendors online.
It came in a bottle & the pharmacist gave me a pump spray bottle to use.
He said it is safe to use as often as neccessary & he suggested 2 sprays in each nostril twice a day.
I do my saline riinse & wait awhile as I have read ( & it says on the coilloidal silver bottle) not to use with saline, so just to be safe I spread it apart from that.
I have now been reading about taking this stuff orally for all kinds of ailments including c diff.
I want to do more reading before I consider taking the cooloidal silver orally-- want to make sure it own't wipe out the good guys.

I am now having bad symptoms again after I just posted last week of the great success it "seemed" I was having with Bio K+.
Had a colonoscopy last Friday & I think this was a huge mistake.
Took a specimen to the lab today & now the horrible wait...
The D is back & I feel sick and weak & the yuck smell is back. And that c diff headache-- it must be back ; (((
Have been dealing wiht this since the first week of dEcember.
Had a huge crying spell this afternoon-- just can't take it anymore- have to work etc... other medical problems that are pressing as well. I don't want to back on Vanco.
Have an appt with Dr. Brandt at Montefiore 7/6 so I hope the end is in sight.
He will most likely want to do the transfer, but if insurance doesn't cover, I'll have to look into the home enemas-- not sure I can handle that. But I am desperate & I'll do whatever it takes to get my life back.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:23 am

The stool transfer I had done via colonoscopy was covered by insurance as it is billed out as a colonoscopy. If the doctor charges anything above that for the transfer, that isn't covered, but mine didn't.

KateC
Regular Contributor

Postby KateC » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:16 pm

Thanks Beth- I think I read an article by Dr. Brandt where he said he bills the transfer as a colonoscopy.
I'm worried they will question it since I just had a colonoscopy ( dumb, dumb !) last week.

AllisonS
Brand New Poster

Postby AllisonS » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:26 pm

I am also having what i think is a Uti V.V Stomach pains, burning on both sides of my lower back and side, less urine, vaginal discharge and nausea, I have had a history of c diff twice, the first time i have no clue how I got, and the second time I got it was also from taken antibiotics for a uti such as (Sulfamethoxazole /Trimethoprim)which is Bactrim, Sulfatrim for 10 days. I had headache body aches and really bad nausea and no appetite. I call my dr and she switched me to (Nitrofurantoin mono Capsule) from there I finished them and ended up with c diff yet again, and told her to do a sample and be sure if i did have it again, and sure enough I did. I'm only 20 and only weigh 104 pound and because of c-diff I drop to 98 pounds. For my C-diff she prescribed me (metronidazole 500 mg and Sulfamethoxazole /Trimethoprim) <yep again after i done switched from it before. First hour I took them both I was up in the middle of the night shaking, throwing up, stomach pain, loose stool, I felt like I was going to die and it was bad. I ended up going to the Er and they told me to stop taken both the metronidazole 500 mg and Sulfamethoxazole /Trimethoprim and switched me to Vancomycin and said that I was allergic to Bactrim. And with Vancomycin I had little nausea and everything was getting better, I had another sample tested and it came back negative. Thank God. Now I believe I am having another Uti also a sinus infection and is afraid to taken any other antibiotic for being prone to C-diff. I don't want to go through this again and cant keep loosing weight. I know when I go back to the dr she going to prescribe me another antibiotic which will be a high risk of me getting c-diff again, What should I do, or what antibiotic would be best?

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”