can c-diff return after 2 years??

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
boozapie
Brand New Poster

can c-diff return after 2 years??

Postby boozapie » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:16 am

In 2008 after shoulder surgery I was prescribed CLINDAMYCIN. I was dealing with and being treated for c-diff for about a year. Like everyone else, I had many rounds of metronidazole, vancomycin and Questran. For the past 2 years I have been mainly symptom free except for things feeling "squirrelly'" occasionally.
But for the past 2 weeks I've been experiencing mild stomach cramps, some mucus, going several times a day, or feeling like I have to go. Is it possible that I could have C-diff again? Have not been on any antibodies since 2008.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank-you,
Boozapie

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Re: can c-diff return after 2 years??

Postby Christina » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:08 am

I am beginning to believe anything is possible with C-diff. I'd check with your Dr and ask to run a few stool tests if your symptoms persist. Try to run more than one just to be on the safe side. My first two were negative. My final and third test came back positive. I also tried a different lab the with the last one. I just tested positive and have not had an antibiotic since 2008 as well. Good luck and I hope you get some answers and are feeling better soon.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:59 pm

There is also a bad intestinal virus going around. I have been off vanco for only 6 months and a few weeks ago had a weekend of D. I tested while I had the D and the tests were negative. Then I got the M and tested and two tests were positive, the third at a different lab was negative. I took only Pepto Bismol, went away for a week, came back, re-tested at both labs and the tests were both negative. The ID doctor told me that once you have c diff, getting sick or run down can re-activate spores, but it does not mean that you will go full-blown. He said to just take Pepto when that happens.

Also, the hospital where I tested negative, does not test for toxin A anymore. They have this new, very sensitive test where they test the sample by "real-time polymerase chain reaction (PCR) by Cepheid GeneXpert) for the presence of the c difficile toxin B gene (tcdB). " They use the company Cepheid, but I looked online and Arup labs also has similar tests. At first, I was sure that it was not as good a test as the one that tests toxin A and B, but after speaking to ID docs and my GI I was told that this one is much more sensitive and is meant to distinguish c diff that is harmful and toxigenic. They found that they were overtreating people who tested positive on the older tests. Some believe that toxin A should not be treated unless symptoms get really bad.

If you have symptoms still, get tested and ask what kind of test it is. I just took the Pepto and it seems to have helped, at least for now. Good luck.

kitkatbek
Regular Contributor

Postby kitkatbek » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:34 pm

I had that same PCR test done in the ER last week. The ER Doc said it was new and alot more sensitive.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Beth and Kitabeck,
Thanks for the info. on the new testing for C. diff. I posted it in FAQ-Testing for C. diff.

Syanney
Brand New Poster

IV vanco for shoulder surgery.

Postby Syanney » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:18 pm

Hi there. I’m not new here, just haven’t posted before. I battled CDiff for 5 months last year. Finally ending in an FMT. I swore I’d never have another surgery. Well, I do. Tomorrow. The surgeon is suggesting IV Vanco instead of Ancef due to my history. Has anyone had IV Vanco for any surgery? If so, is this a low risk offender? Will I be okay?

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:34 am

Hi Syanney and welcome to the site. This is a old post , check the date.
To answer your question : Several on this site were treated with iv Vanco for surgery , including myself. I was on a cocktail of iv vanco and iv flagyl for five days for endometriosis excision surgery , followed by another 5 days of oral vanco per doctors instruction and did not relapse with Cdiff.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:41 pm

Another welcome. I was on IV Vanco for osteomyelitis without a reoccurrence of c diff. No promises,however, as everyone is different.

Pls read the first forum for the site's history and rules of posting, Again, welcome. Best wishes.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”