Which antibiotics make people more prone to c-diff?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
chrissy72
Regular User

Which antibiotics make people more prone to c-diff?

Postby chrissy72 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:41 pm

I thought there was a post somewhere that listed all of the antibiotics and which ones caused c-diff the most.

My 2 1/2 year old has MRSA for the second time. Her first time was last August. She is currently on Cleocin. I wouldn't have been concerned about the antibiotic if I hadn't has c-diff twice in my life. Now that I know what can happen on the meds, I'm worried for my daughter. I've been giving her Primodophilous every day.

On a side note-We are the cleanest people going-probably bordering on OCD as far as cleanliness. Yet my older son had MRSA once, my daughter twice and I had c-diff twice. Kind of feels like a biohazard team needs to come to my house.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:32 am

Look in the FAQ section under Antibiotics (that are more or less likely to cause cdiff). As I recall, clindamycin is one of the worst ones for causing cdiff.

chrissy72
Regular User

Postby chrissy72 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:42 pm

Roy-My daughter actually has an infectious wound. I am aware that most people carry MRSA in their noses though. I guess she has her mama's bad luck at carrying something unusual that others are able to fight off.

Nancy-I thought Clindamycin was one of the worst offenders. I'm giving her tons of probiotics. I hope she's fine after this

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”