Help for a friend

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
jbb
New User

Help for a friend

Postby jbb » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:27 pm

I had c-diff in 2001/2002 and I'm trying to help a friend who is currently in the hospital with c-diff. He just had surgery for diverticulitis and they had to remove a part of his colon. Just as they were about to release him he contracted c-diff and has been struggling with it since Saturday. They currently have him on both Flagyl and Vancomycin. I not sure what the flagyl dosage is but it is liquid vancomycin 4 times a day at 125mg per dose. This started on Saturday and he has seen no improvement at this point.

My question is what do you think about him being on both Flagyl and Vancomycin? My recollection is that they typically do one or the other but not both at the same time. Of course the treatment may have change since 2002.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:44 pm

Welcome to the group that no one wants to join, for you and your friend. Be sure to read All Users Read This First, Dr. Borody's article, Dr. McDonald's article (in the FAQ section under Articles by Experts), and all areas in FAQ that interest you.

In 2006, after my third relapse, they put me on both Flagyl and vanco. Flagyl had made me quite sick when I took it alone, after I was first diagnosed with cdiff. But taking it plus vanco made me even sicker, so sick that I couldn't eat at all. After 4 days of this, I called my doc and said I was stopping Flagyl. As I recall, other folks here have had Flagyl and vanco together and were able to tolerate them.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:31 pm

I know my doctor suggested taking both Flagyl and vanco together, but I didn't. It is also written up in the protocol for Dr. Barody's stool infusion enemas. You are supposed to take two meds at the same time for that protocol, Xifaxan, Flagyl, Vanco - you choose the combination. I only chased the vanco with Xifaxan, but never at the same time, however, I know others who have taken Flagyl and vanco at the concurrently.

Vikingjeff28
Long Time Contributor

Postby Vikingjeff28 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:19 am

They may up the Vanco doseage to 250mg if no improvement is seen very soon.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”