3rd Relapse! Info on Liquid Vanco Please!

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
nolagirl
Contributor

3rd Relapse! Info on Liquid Vanco Please!

Postby nolagirl » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:28 am

Well, I was doing great on the Alinia for the 10 days. Then, my first day off Alinia (today), I woke up with the horrible D we all know about. Sample is at lab now, I am sure it is C Diff b/c of my symptoms and the appearance of the D.

Doc called in liquid Vanco to compounding pharmacy. It won't be ready for another hour and a half.

I would like to know from others how fast they got relief from the liquid Vanco or regular Vanco. Any bad side effects? I read somewhere on this forum that someone had bad dizziness and nausea. But, I have read from others they were ok on the Vanco and could work.

I have a HUGE outdoor art market on Saturday and I have notified over 1000 that I will be there. I am praying I will be well enough by Saturday to work, my doctor seems to think I should be. Of course, the first day with this is always horrible and I know that...would just like to hear from others how fast the Vanco gave them relief and if any side effects.

Also, does anyone know if you can take Xanyx (sp) on Vanco? I seem to remember reading people on this forum taking it, but I am not feeling well enough to do a search and read through posts.

Thanks in advance.

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:41 pm

It depends. I know that for me I noticed a definite slow down in 24 hours after starting vanco and felt pretty much back to new normal in 72 hours. My son was about the same way when he took vanco. Will you have a bathroom available to you Saturday? You can ask the pharmacy about the Xanax. They can tell you if they can take them together.

nolagirl
Contributor

Postby nolagirl » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:35 pm

Good to know that you got relief that quickly. I will have a bathroom available, but it's a Port-O-Let at an outdoor art market! I have to laugh b/c can you imagine someone like us being sick with C Diff and using a Port-O-Let. :) I must retain some sort of sense of humor about all of this or I will lose my mind.

I am hopeful that by Saturday I will be doing much better as you suggested and I won't have to worry about any bathroom emergencies. My mom just picked up the liquid Vanco to bring to me. It was $120 as opposed to the thousands I could have spent. Thanks to everyone on this board for that information! My insurance does not cover Vanco, so all of your guidance was a real blessing.

I will call Pharm abt Xanax. Thanks!

nolagirl
Contributor

Postby nolagirl » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:03 pm

The other thing I wanted to know, did you have any side effects from the Vanco?

Pharmacist recommends taking on empty stomach if it doesn't bother me. He said it can upset the stomach.

Anyone have advice on taking Vanco on empty stomach or not?

Thanks in advance!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:40 pm

nolagirl,
Frankly, I don't remember if I took Vanco. with meals or not. I the four doses as far apart as possible but didn't get up in the middle of the night.

I'd call the toll-free # for the manufacturers of Vanco. and ask their advice. The info. is in FAQ-Aid in Obtaining Meds. Also, check with your doc.

I didn't have any side effects from Vanco. and I was on it a long time.

Good luck. Hope you feel better.

nolagirl
Contributor

Postby nolagirl » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:01 pm

Oh, Bobby! That is great news and provides hope for me! I pray I have the same response as you did and do not have side effects. As long I have no side effects I can work!! :D

Infec Disease doc has me on liquid Vanco 4 times a day for 14 days...just took my first dose 2 hours ago.

I will also continue to take the florastor, primal defense and culturelle...

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:17 pm

I always took the vanco with food - usually meals and then with a snack before bed.

johnev
New User

Postby johnev » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:42 pm

Hi..I have been on Vanco for almost 6 weeks now. I have never had any side effects from it and I have taken it with food and also on an empty stomach. ( When I first started the vanco it took about 2 days before I felt like it kicked in.) Good Luck!!

nolagirl
Contributor

Postby nolagirl » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:02 am

Thanks for your replies. I feel like a new person this morning. Thus far no side effects for me, so I feel very fortunate. I tried it yesterday on both empty stomach and with food to see how I did. Either way seemed to be ok on my stomach. No dizziness or nausea. Thank God!

I am wondering about tapering/pulsing. Infec Disease doc just has me on it for 14 days,4 x's a day. I guess we go to the tapering/pulsing if the 14 day round doesn't work? I know she is aware of the tapering/pulsing b/c I asked her about it after my 2nd relapse when they still had me on the Flagyl.

I guess we will see what happens. Thus far, great relief with the liquid Vanco in only 24 hours.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:56 am

Most doctors now seem to have people taper. I was on 4 a day, then 3, then 2 and then did a Xifaxan chaser. This worked better for me than the vanco alone. I understand that vanco liquid is stronger though and it reaches your small intestine better than the pill.

nolagirl
Contributor

Postby nolagirl » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:36 pm

Hmmm. That is really interesting about the strength of the liquid vanco. I did not know that. Thanks for the information on your "taper" schedule. I want all of the information I can get. :)

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”