UTI treatment?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
gm37
Long Time Contributor

UTI treatment?

Postby gm37 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:29 pm

Urologist, ID doc, and GI came up with this treatment for my UTI:
7 days of Cipro along with Vanco and then follow with 2 weeks of Vanco.

Anyone tried this? Just wondering what my odds will be of this combination working. I am hoping for the best!

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:45 pm

I'm with Roy, I would run from Cipro. Cipro plus levaquin is what gave me cdiff in the first place. Macrobid is supposed to be one of the safer antibiotics to treat UTIs. See the FAQ section for more info.

Do you have cdiff, or have you recovered?

gm37
Long Time Contributor

UTI?

Postby gm37 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:59 am

Roy, I love your response! I know that I am in a dangerous place.

Yes, they ran a culture and Cipro was the only drug choice. I am allergic to sulpha and macrobid. Cipro is how I got into this mess in the first place, so I am afraid of a repetition.. I had a wonderful, healthy year after my first horrible bout and finally a 10 week treatment of Vanco cleared things up.

I usually stay pretty positive, but this weekend has been difficult. Fear takes over. Maybe I will get a lucky break. Anybody with this disease deserves one.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:41 am

I was c diff free for 7 months and then last summer was given Cipro. I took it for 5 days and the day after I stopped I took vanco, but only 125mg 4 x per day and by the second day of vanco I got a relapse. I was told later by an ID doctor that I should have taken the vanco at the same time as the Cipro - so in the future I guess that is what I will have to do should I need another antibiotic. It sounds like that is what you are planning on doing. Probiotics are also a good idea. Good luck.

Mommy23
Long Time Contributor

Postby Mommy23 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:25 am

This in no way is a medical opinion just my thoughts.....

Have you considered homopathic medicine? There is a certain herbal medicine that apparently clears infection(I myself have not tried it) When I "thought" that I might have a UTI I bought it and waited until my culture came back. I did start taking tons of cranberry supplements and D-mannose as recommended by my doctor. My culture was negative so never had to take it.

aaimom
New User

Postby aaimom » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:27 pm

Just a word of caution about homeopathic.....and no disrespect is intended for the last post and of course everyone responds differently, and homeopathy /alternative medicine might work for you, but for me it was a big mistake. I came down with a UTI about 3 weeks after my first bout with c-diff. I called my gyn and said, "You know, the last thing I want to do is go on antibiotics right now; is it reasonable to try and flush this out first by drinking a ton of water, cranberry capsules, etc., etc. " He agreed, and unfortunately it did not work, I ended up with a kidney infection! (YIKES!) Then I went on Cippro, and at the time my doctor didn't know about taking vanco in conjunction, and that is how relapse number 2 occured!

I just want to add that I am not against homeopathic/alternative treatments. In fact, I have a son who has complex behavioral needs and we are using an alternative treatment for him; the psychotropics did awful things to his beautiful mind/personality. The alternative route has been a godsend to our family.

Mommy23
Long Time Contributor

Postby Mommy23 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:07 pm

I agree, you need to weigh the benefits and risks of ALL treatments. The medicine I mentioned (without naming) was discussed with my MD(who was both medically trained and naturally trained). This is a very strong homopathic medicine, very different than a herbal/supplement from my understanding.

If/when I'm in need of taking Abx again, I will try natural options unless it is absolutely necessary to take Abx's again. Honestly, I've lost so much faith in the medical community, throwing unnecessary medication without thinking.

As said before, just my opinion....

gm37
Long Time Contributor

Thanks

Postby gm37 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:31 pm

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have tried every UTI prevention that my doc, friends, nature stores, etc have suggested. I have IC so it makes things difficult. And to boot, I am allergic to sulfa and macrobid. I am a tough case. They tried to treat me with Keflex. It did not throw me back into c-diff. But it did not cure the UTI. The bacteria count was really high. Over 100,000.. They don't treat me if it is minor.
Anyway, the Cipro did a number on me and I have had a bad week. I just need to relax and let the meds work. Hard to do with a job that I am missing.
Again, thanks for all of the help. My friends husband even called to tell me that honey and cinnamon would cure it. I guess I am supposed to eat it. Oh, well.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:49 am

gm37,
I, too, have IC which makes treating UTI's "tricky." With IC, you are not supposed to take cranberry juice or cranberry pills and avoid acicic food. I also have IBS and acid reflux (hiatal hernia). There is no way I can be on the 3 different "diets" these conditions demand. I generally just do "middle of the road."

I've been on a steroid cream for the IC and one maintenace pill (50 mg.) Macrobid for the chronic UTI's for years. I don't like it, but don't think I have much choice. In the past, I was able to "wash away" several infections with lots of water and cranberry juice. Before C. diff., I'd only had a couple of UTI's in my entire life.

Sulfa would have been my next suggestion. I, too, am allergic to it. You might check with a pharmacist about other antibiotics.

Good luck. I "feel" for you. Are you seeing a urologist?

gm37
Long Time Contributor

another day

Postby gm37 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:42 pm

Yes, I do have a urologist and he is very good. He works with my ID doc to treat me. I alway am cathed and cultured and then they work out a treatment plan. Of course, the ID doc's first rule is NO AB's. So when they said Cipro, I knew she was serious.
Anyway, here I am with another week of my life sick with this. I have a second appt with Dr. Allen. The first time I saw him, I was coming off my initial bout with c-diff. Now I am at a 2nd relapse and the nurse said that maybe he could help me. I hope so.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:59 am

gm37,
I'm glad you are seeing Dr. Allen again. He is the doc. who "cured" me -- twice. (I still have IBS, but it's better than C. diff.) The first time he used "the broth" on me, it didn't work, and to my undying regret, I let other docs. talk me out of having it again. At that point, I had developed osteomyelitis (infection) in the left side of my jaw and was on IV Vanco. as well as oral Vanco.. (I ground my teeth from the stress of having C. diff., broke a tooth, and an oral surgeon made everything worse.) I believe if I hadn't had C. diff. for so long the first time (4 yrs.) I wouldn't have developed so many health problems later, but who knows?

When I recovered from the osteomyelitis, , I went to the U. of Mich. where I was enrolled in a test study for S. boularddi - now Florastor. I was on it two years. It's didn't help or hurt me. Finally, I decided to try the broth again. This time it worked. I had C. diff. again two years later (another bout of pneumonia and the use of Levaquin). This time the broth worked the first time. No guarantees, however. I do think Dr. Allen is one of the few "experts" on C. diff.

Cheryl, Dr. Allen's nurse is great. Tell him I said "hi."

gm37
Long Time Contributor

Thanks

Postby gm37 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:26 pm

I will let you know what he says.

Exactly what is the broth treatment? Do you have to be in the hospital? Just wondering.

gm37
Long Time Contributor

thans

Postby gm37 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:50 am

Thanks, Roy. I have an appt in April so I will take a list of questions with. I will let you know how it goes.

The sun is shining and I plan on enjoying a day off.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”