antibiotic for one day? relapse?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
sept24th07
New User

antibiotic for one day? relapse?

Postby sept24th07 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:46 pm

after being c diff free for 3 years, i used a topical antibiotic (acanya) on my face for one night. the next morning i got sick, and immediately stopped using it. since then (about 4 days) i have had d* everyday...

could one dose cause a relapse? when do i go to the dr? no pain, just sick at the moment....

sept24th07
New User

Postby sept24th07 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:53 pm

sidenote: acanya has Clindamycin in it.

Vikingjeff28
Long Time Contributor

Postby Vikingjeff28 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:16 pm

That would totally surprise me if that is the case. So little would be in your system it seems not possible. Maybe coincidence of a stomach flu or something, it is going around here in FL.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:01 pm

I got D* with it after just one application, but it subsided when I did not use any more.

Mia-Mia
Regular Contributor

cream

Postby Mia-Mia » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:56 am

NO WAY! We are so paranoid (including myself) about C diff. You used the cream and immediately got C diff the next day!! i think not!! Pease in my opinion that just can't be. Contact the pharmacisits asked him about the aborbtion amount. Good luck i am susre you just have a bug. Or its just a bad stomach ache for other reasons. Of course if you have D for more than 3 days contact your Docs but I Think truly you are safe!!

Mia-Mia
Regular Contributor

Re: cream

Postby Mia-Mia » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:05 am

I wish i could delete my prior post. I looked up some info on this cream that YOU should NOT use this cream if you have had Colitis or inflamed intestines due to antibiotic use in the past. BUT AGAIN i really doubt that 1 usage would get you ill. Call your doc if you have D for more that 3 days or if you have severe pain right away. Just my opinion thats all.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:44 am

It got me ill with just one usage. But, again, when I did not use it the next day, the D* went away. Then I tried it again in a few days and the same thing. But, the D* didn't persist like yours. I think I already had c diff in me and it just kicked it up. When I used Cleocin vaginal cream the year after, it did cause the c difficile to surface for sure, but that was a greater amount of cream and for more than one day. My dermatologist told me not to use the stuff anymore. From what I understood the clindamycin can cause D* that is not c diff - just a very harsh drug on the intestines. You should ask the pharmacist like Mia said.

Vikingjeff28
Long Time Contributor

Postby Vikingjeff28 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:48 am

Clindamycin is now a cuss word in my house. It has cost me $ 15,000 out of my own pocket and $ 125,000 for my insurance company now. My gastritis and GERD is back strong so, back on the nexium while I finish vanco pulse. Thank GOD I had some painkillers left over because they kept me out of ER this weekend. When I get gastritis and GERD bad ANY swallowing of food or liquid is like fire...

dawnie31
Contributor

Postby dawnie31 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:33 pm

concerning a cream apllied on the face I don't know if one application could cause a relapse, but I know that just one antibiotics can cause a relapse. After a colonoscopy I took one antibiotic the evening after my colonoscopy (amoxcicilline, 2 pills) precribed by my GI to prevent infection lol. and the next day I got severe D and everything and Cdiff was back. So one abx is possible to cause a relapse. If the symptoms continues get a stool test to be sure.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”