asthma meds

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
monacat
Contributor

asthma meds

Postby monacat » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:25 pm

hello all! after a long hall i have been feeling great for some time now but..... i have recently started having to puff on a "Flovent HFA" cortizone inhaler as I now have asthma (hmmmm...) 2 times a day. This can effect the flora in my mouth and throat so I have to rinse well after each use. Now, sonce I have started this I have had colon pain again and just today some mucus again! It has been a while. Does anybody know how this can effect your gut flora. I hope that this will pass and I am not relapsing. Ugg.. Any opinions would be much appreciated.

BabyJohnsmama
New User

Postby BabyJohnsmama » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:01 pm

Hi, My 5 year old has been on flovent (swallowed instead of inhaled for his esophagus) for over a year 2x a day and 2 puffs each time. We have never (knock on wood_) had a problem at all.
I would check with your doctor. Hope you are doing well.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:35 am

monocat,
You need to rinse your mouth after using asthma meds. containing cortisone to prevent yeast infections. They shouldn't affect your GI tract.

I was on asthma meds for about five years -- right after I had my second attack of C. diff. I didn't have immediate problems, but the meds. can have some nasty side effects including osteoporosis -- which I already had. They didn't affect my GI tract.

I was able to get off asthma meds. when I was in MT for 10 weeks when my mother fell and broke her hip in June 2002.

I originally got asthma after I had a cedar closet builet in the basement after my second bout with C. diff. in l999. The man who built it didn't build it correctly, and the closet "bred" mold spores on my clothes. I had to throw away most of my clothes, clean the basement, have the air ducts cleaned, etc. and was ill for years. (Have a history of childhood asthma and allergies during adulthood anyway.)

Now, I don't take anything for asthma unless I get a resp. infection -- which usually goes to my chest. I do saline irrigation twice a day -- more if I am having problems. (Keeps the "gunk" from dripping down into your bronchial tubes), and I do aerobic exercise 4 X a week. The time I spent in MT (drier climate than KC) also helped.

Good luck. See a good pulmo. if necessary. I went to allergists for years without much luck. Had better luck with a pulmo. He said he's never seen an asthmatic with such good lung function and agrees it must be the exercise although I've done aerobics for years - just do them it more now.

monacat
Contributor

Postby monacat » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:35 pm

thank you both so much for your info. it has made me feel better. i have not been on any meds since the c-diff and it seemed all to coincedental (i can't spell sorry! i wish there was spell check on this site!!)that my colon should start giving me problems a few days after starting this stuff. I look forward to getting off of it. we are living in a damp mold prone place but are moving june 1st. ahh... to breath again without the aid of a puffer....
as for my colon, still hurts today but thus far no visible signs of problems... as i said... so far. off to cuddle with my hot water bottle.

Bobbie
Administrator

Mold & Electric "Throw"

Postby Bobbie » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:50 am

Many are allergic to mold, but it can "pop" up for many reasons. (ie - leaking pipes.)

I've used a heating pad for abdominal pain for years. Recently discovered something else. CindyM told me about it. (Thx., Cindy.) It's an electric throw --smaller than an electric blanket; larger than a heating pad. It has an auto. shut off. Check it out. The weather here (KC) has been cold and nasty, so the electric throw has been wonderful!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”