Severe anal tissue pain with C Diff???

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
chris l
New User

Severe anal tissue pain with C Diff???

Postby chris l » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:07 pm

I'm new here and this is my story. I came down with C Diff about 2 months ago after being on IV Rocephin for 1 month due to Lyme. I haven't got rid of it since.

I went on flagyl for 10 days, started getting better, then relapsed fast before the 10th day. I was put on Vanco for 15 days, started getting better and then I relapsed 2 days after finishing the course. Dr put me back on Vanco for another 15 days and I relapsed before I even finished the full course. Dr. then put me on Alinia for 10 days, everything seemed to slow up, and then around day 9 I started slipping. Dr. tried another course of Alinia but by day 4 I was back to the same painful status as when it first started. So now I'm back on 15 days of Vanco and it isn't working nearly as well as the first two times.

Anyway, the question I have is it common with C Diff to have so much pain during a bowel movement that I scream in pain? The pain is in my anal and buttocks tissue. There isn't any blood really but there is a lot of pus. I know the pain is related to my C Diff because the worse my C Diff symptoms the worse the pain. After the bowel movement I am still in pain and my anal tissue just keeps swelling with each subsequent bowel movement. My wife has checked out the area and it looks very pinkish red.

Is this common? If so, what exactly is this? Has anyone had any success with treating this issue? Also, what do you do when Vanco doesn't work?

Thanks for any help!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:44 pm

I had some pain, but nothing like you describe. However, I did see a proctologist and it might be a good idea for you to see one. They can look in the area and see if you have any pseudomembranes from the c diff or if you have a fissure or hemmorhoids or anything else abnormal. GI is not much help in this area - you need a doctor who actually takes a look.

Vikingjeff28
Long Time Contributor

Postby Vikingjeff28 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:03 am

YES! I have that as well as it feels like pressure and force as the urgency hits. In our case it is bodies way of saying"Get this toxin out". You will have all sorts of weird stuff thru C diff. Did your doc up your dose of vanco or are you already on 250mg?

chris l
New User

Postby chris l » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:32 am

Yes, I've been on 500mg x 4 times a day from the start. Again, this is my third time on vanco. : (

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:30 pm

chris l,
Welcome to the group that no one wants to join. Be sure to read All Users Read This First, Dr. Borody's article, Dr. McDonald's article (in the FAQ section under Articles by Experts), and all areas in FAQ that interest you.

I've been having a lot of trouble getting to the site for the past couple of days, so I hope this works. I had huge hemorrhoids with cdiff, and as much pain from them as from cdiff. Maybe this is what you have? Not much worked for treating them. A warm sitz bath helped for about 5 minutes. My doc prescribed hydrocortisone cream, which helped a little but not a lot. The main thing that finally helped was getting the cdiff under control. Good luck.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”