DO IV antbiotics make a difference to the gut.

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Mia-Mia
Regular Contributor

DO IV antbiotics make a difference to the gut.

Postby Mia-Mia » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:00 am

Just wondering if we have to take antibiotics. Would it be easier on the gut if it was through an IV ? or Does it not matter either way? Wondering because I have had a so called bad cold for about 1 month with cough and a low grade fever every once in a couple of days 100 and under. Now My glands are swolen and they are debating weather or not to put me on antibiotics. I am so scared to do that. i was gonna ask the doc to do an IV one instead Does it matter ? would it be easier on the gut? I dont feel so bad just want this to go away.

fire7163
Long Time Contributor

Postby fire7163 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:26 am

Complicated question, but a fairly simple answer...kinda
It all depends on the drug and what you are attempting to cure. IV drugs bypass the digestive system and are directly infused into your circulatory system. Ingested meds are proccessed by the GI system and are absorbed by the body through the normal digestive processses. It all depends on what and where the problem is. Before you use antibiotics, go to the FAQ section of the site and look at the list of antibiotics most likely to cause C-Diff and share the info with your Md. Look for the least likely and go from there.

Fire

lawc30
Regular User

IV does seem to affect the gut

Postby lawc30 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:12 pm

Hi.

I contracted C. Diff. after 3 rounds of IV antibiotics during labor. I don't think it really matters! :) I'm in the same predicament. It will have been 2 yrs. in February since I finished my rounds of Vancomycin. I am on an antibiotic now for a sinus infection and bronchitis which has been hanging around for over 6 weeks. I am still scared after all this time, and today on day 3 I had the first sign of a bit of diarhea. Praying it isn't c. diff. again.

Lawc30
Laura
Godissemperfidelis.com

Mia-Mia
Regular Contributor

antibiotics

Postby Mia-Mia » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:59 pm

Hey which antibiotic are you on now? Are you taking probiotics ? florastor should really help.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”