How much probiotics after finishing vanco?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
jaredkep
New User

How much probiotics after finishing vanco?

Postby jaredkep » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:30 am

I've got one more dose of vanco after tapering for about 2 months and was curious how much probiotics should one take on a daily basis? I'm taking natures way primadophilus reuteri (5 billion count per pill) and some acidolphilus (700 million count per pill) and plain yogurt. Thank you all so much. I'm hoping to have success story to post soon if this cdiff is gone!! If not I still have hope of stool transfer being approved. I hope all is well with everyone.
Diagnosed with C Diff June 7th, 2009

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:03 pm

I think how long and how many probiotics you continue taking after cdiff is up to you. It depends on how much you have been taking and if you think they have helped you. That being said, during cdiff I took 4 (acidophilus, Florastor, Culturelle, and Primadophilus reuteri), but the only one I can say for sure made a difference was the reuteri. Because I was scared to stop, I continued taking them for about 6 months after I stopped vanco. Then I ramped them down slowly, one at a time.

jaredkep
New User

Postby jaredkep » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:27 pm

Thanks for reply!
Diagnosed with C Diff June 7th, 2009

cathy
New User

Postby cathy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:57 am

My GI said that he's seen patients who take too many probiotics and give themselves IBS. So, he believes moderation is the best, like one culturelle a day or one florastor a day for a month after getting off of Vanco.

So, I'm on one florastor a day, and trying to eat as many different foods as I can.
Diagnosed with C Diff while 7 months pregnant.

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:50 am

You will get a million different answers for this. I think you have to find what works for you. My GI is very very by the book. If it hasn't been proven in a study she doesn't do it. With my current treatment, I am taking 4 Florastor a day. 2 in the a.m and 2 in the p.m. This was ordered by my dr and she had studies to back it up that this is what I should take and the dose. Align has also been studied and has proven to help with IBS. I took this last year and it did help me but it takes 6 weeks to take full effect. I take Primadouphalis Reuteri(sp?) per lots of people on this website. It is pretty much what you find in yogurt but a lot stronger. I take two of those a day. I think that for most the rule is double the dose during and after c diff for at least a few months and then taper down to a regular dose.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”