Possible relapsing with use of antibiotic?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
saraht
Long Time Contributor

Possible relapsing with use of antibiotic?

Postby saraht » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:13 am

Hi friends,
Im new to this forum and was hoping I could get some help.
I have had antibiotic induced c diff for 7 months now.. I have been on Flagyl 5 or 6 times, and I just did my first round of Vancomycin.. but no change. I go back to my GI in two days to see what else they plan to do.
I cant help but feel hopeless because of how I got c diff in the first place, and I feel like I will never be back to good health.
I started out in April getting MRSA, then had a re-occurrence a month later.
All the antibiotics I was on is what caused my colitis.
Once I do finally stop relapsing, if I have to go back on a antibiotic for another illness does it mean I will get it back? Even a simple z pack antibiotic for minor colds and infections? I read online, but most of it worries me sick. Any helpful thoughts or information? Thanks!

Mommy23
Long Time Contributor

Postby Mommy23 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:36 am

Hi & welcome,
So sorry you are battling this nasty illness too.
You will find a wealth of knowledge and helpful advice from many who are in the same situation.

With regards to your symptoms...how do you feel on the meds? Do you have any relief? Many have found they need an increase in dosage. Vanco seems to be the most effective med but can still take months of long tapers. Apparently for some it can take months to recover even after their bout with Cdiff. Have they ever tested you while taking the meds just to see if you are negative? I realize the tests aren't very reliable but it might at least indicate whether you are getting some benefit.
There are also other antibiotics which can be tried if there is failure after vanco.
Fecal infusions have high success rates as well.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. Very little relief even on the vanco. I still hold out hope that something will kick it eventually.

Hope you get well soon!!

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:01 am

I am sorry you are struggling with this beast. I have been taking Vanco in a taper/pulsed regimen since February and have at least avoided full relapse while taking it. The thing I have realized is that time and patience are on your side. I have 2 pills left, am currently taking 1 pill every 4 days. It took me months to be able to get down to this dose, however I feel I am finally on the mend. Not all have to take this medicine for this long, however I just want to suggest to you that perhaps your Dr. needs to consider a longer treatment involving a taper/pulse method. It takes an incredibly long time for your colon to heal. I too had the awful colitis type of C Diff.

Keep posting, many here can offer you alot of information and support.
Hoping for a cure.

monacat
Contributor

Postby monacat » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:33 am

And perhaps you need a stronger dose? I started off my second round of Vanco with 3 weeks of 4 x 250 (Vanco) and tapered down from there over 83 days. So far so good. I have been ok (not perfect) for 5 months thus far. My first round of 125's did nothing for me.
(Sue, 2 pills left?? You have finally made it to the end!! Good luck!!)

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:49 pm

saraht,
Welcome to the group that no one wants to join. Be sure to read All Users Read This First, Dr. Borody's article, Dr. McDonald's article (in the FAQ section under Articles by Experts), and all areas in FAQ that interest you.

You have gotten lots of good advice. Yes, you will get back to good health. They tell me that everyone beats cdiff eventually. For some of us it just takes longer. I had it for 8 months. Pulsing is what finally worked for me. See the FAQ section for the Ten Commandments of Surviving Cdiff, especially #7, about never giving up hope.

Some folks here have been able to take antibiotics after cdiff without relapsing, and some haven't. We will always need to be very careful. A Zpak is less likely to cause a relapse than some others. See the FAQ section under Antibiotics for lists of those that are more and less likely to cause relapses. Narrow-spectrum ones are safer.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:58 pm

Another thing to consider is that 90% of sinus infections/colds are viral and antibiotics do nothing for you in those cases..except kill off good bacteria.

Always make any Dr. prove that you need an antibiotic via testing for what kind of infection you really have, going forward. Also, taking vitamin D and other vitamins, hand washing, and sinus rinses have helped me to avoid infections or the need of further antibiotics, thus far.
Hoping for a cure.

saraht
Long Time Contributor

Postby saraht » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:31 am

Thanks guys. I will lock all this information in my brain.
They havent said anything yet about the tapering I guess we will see what they want to do next. I go on Wednesday for a follow up and Thursday for a Colonoscopy to see what the damage is thus far.
I did ok on the Vanco, even though not everything was back to normal stool wise. I wasnt seeing mucous when I was on it, it just wasnt solid. I was three pills away from finishing the first dose of it and starting getting a very deep pain in my pelvic area. I had called my GI and they told me to stop taking it and go to the ER if it got worse, in which it was gone within the next two days.
Most common colds I do just deal with and let them go, but like I said for some reason it hits me harder than others. I think I need to live in a bubble.
My biggest worry is going threw this, finally healing, then getting MRSA again. I am very careful what I do, and I take preventative measures but you just never know, and that scares me. Im 23 married and had hoped to of started a family with my husband but now Im weary.

I keep faith close to my heart, and Im thankful to have other people who are going threw the same thing.
Times are hard economy wise, and I havent been able to work in 6 months due to all my illnesses. Not that I cant work because I have tried, but its to the point now.. who is going to want a employee that has to take this day and this day off for dr's appts, and goodness sake who knows what else, and its not fair to an employer to hire someone who would need that.
I have friends, and family I talk to about it but its hard because they dont understand what I go threw.
Thank you all for the support its greatly needed and appreciated.

LindaSp
Contributor

Postby LindaSp » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:10 am

Hi Sarah,
You did not mention anything about taking probiotics. Has this been part of your treatment? My daughter believes the Culturelle and S. Boulardi (Florastor) was key in helping her rebuild her gut flora along with pulsing Vancomycin. Of course you would need to discuss with your doctor.

Great advice from Suezer about not taking antibiotics for viruses. Viruses run their course and the body builds its own antibodies in response.

Best wishes,
Linda

saraht
Long Time Contributor

Postby saraht » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:51 pm

LindaSp wrote:Hi Sarah,
You did not mention anything about taking probiotics. Has this been part of your treatment? My daughter believes the Culturelle and S. Boulardi (Florastor) was key in helping her rebuild her gut flora along with pulsing Vancomycin. Of course you would need to discuss with your doctor.

Great advice from Suezer about not taking antibiotics for viruses. Viruses run their course and the body builds its own antibodies in response.

Best wishes,
Linda

Hi Linda,
Thanks for the concern. Yes I had taken probiotics. After taking the Flagyl I started Acidophiles once a day. Then when my symptoms returned my PCP referred me to a GI, who started me on the Vanco. Before I left I asked if I should continue taking the Acidophiles, she looked at me funny then said no, like it wasnt going to help either way.. So I stopped. I tend on asking her why tomorrow.

pwood62
Regular Contributor

Postby pwood62 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:01 pm

You mentioned Z packs for common colds? I personally would never take an antibiotic for a cold.

saraht
Long Time Contributor

Postby saraht » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:49 am

I ment more for sinus infections, or respiratory infections.. stuff like that.. Didnt literally mean z pack for a cold.

pwood62
Regular Contributor

Postby pwood62 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:28 pm

Gotcha! My ID Dr. told me yesterday I will always have to take Vanco if I ever need an antibiotic my whole life. I did not care for him though and am firing him because he told me I would always have this illness and the best they can do is help me manage it. Wrong answer. When I asked if "I will ever get completely better" he said "no but I will have some good days and some bad." I just don't accept that and am going back to my GI in Jan. He said I would get better it just may take awhile.

Mommy23
Long Time Contributor

Postby Mommy23 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:11 pm

Good for you, Pwood...I'm glad you didn't accept that crazy comment.
I have faith we will get better!!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:07 pm

There are people who do recover completely. I know a woman who had recurrent c difficile and vanco did not help. She had a fecal transplant via ng tube and has been c diff free for over 5 years and has taken antibiotics a couple of times for pneumonia and something else. I believe she took doxycycline and it did not make her relapse. I'm sure there are people who don't get over it completely or ever, but that doesn't mean you are one of them. A lot of those people are probably ones that are in nursing homes and have other conditions that knocks their immune systems down.

Good for you for deciding to go see someone else. I would do the same.

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:35 pm

Beth, I have a list of Antibiotics that cause the least disturbance to intestinal microflora which was issued by Dr. Borody's Centre Probiotic Therapy Research Center. Doxycyclin is one of the safe drugs on this list. I'm not suggesting that individuals take this antibiotic, as I'm not a doctor, however, I find it interesting that your friend was perscribed this medication and didn't have a relapse.
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”