UTI while on Vanco

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
LFC in Virginia
New User

UTI while on Vanco

Postby LFC in Virginia » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:43 am

I know this is a pretty common problem with C Diff and I've read many of the posts on the subject of UTI's. I was on Trimpex prior to C Diff because of chronic UTI's. After I was diagnosed in early June the doctor told me to stop taking it and use the hormone cream only. Well, two nights ago I developed the UTI symptoms with a lot of pain. I'm on tapering Vanco after two rounds of Flagyl. I have about 2 more weeks to go on the Vanco. So, I called the doctor and went in for a urinalysis test. Still waiting on the results. The doctor wouldn't even give me something for the pain until the test is back so tomorrow I'm going to the drug store and seeing if I can get some Azo over the counter. I'm really miserable, can't sleep tonight. I'm drinking lots of water and cranberry juice. I was drinking cranberry juice prior to getting this UTI. Tomorrow is Friday and if I don't hear from the doctor I'll have to go through the weekend without help. How long do these urinalysis usually take? I gave it on Wednesday afternoon and thought I'd hear back today. I guess I just wanted to vent and ask for your prayers. I pray for you all. Thanks for being there. Bert

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:00 am

A urinalysis they do right away - they can see if there are white or red blood cells in the urine, but then they usually do a culture and that is what takes longer. This will tell them which antibiotic the bacteria is sensitive to. I think it takes about 2 days, so hopefully you can get a result from your doctor tomorrow. If you call and they don't have it, ask the doctor's office to call whatever lab they sent it to and get a report over the phone. I've done that before. They should at least have a preliminary result and probably even a final. I will be sure to include you in my prayers.

Beth

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:30 am

Hi,

Beth is right...the urinalysis can tell you if you have blood or white cells in your urine. The culture takes 3 days for me. I had one urinalysis that was completely clear, but the culture grew bacteria.

I feel your pain. I've had 3 UTIs in 1 /2 months...will not clear. I was on Macrobid 7 days for the 1st, Augmentin 10 days for the 2nd, Macrobid 10 days for this one...nothing has worked. 2 E Coli infections and 1 proteus mirabilis. If that's not enough to worry about, I'm scared to death of getting C Diff again. Popping probiotics and Florastor like a mad woman, and eating lots of yogurt.

I have no idea why this won't clear. I've done every home remedy I can think of...even taking probiotics for urinary tract health, pure cranberry juice, LOTS of water, drinking vinegar water and taking D-Mannose with Cran Pectin. This is unlike any UTI I've ever had...the pain comes and goes, and it is bad. I was cleared of C Diff 4/08 and didn't have a UTI until recently. I'm terribly frustrated...

I hope yours clears up and you don't have to take abx. If so, I recommend the probiotics and florastor and yogurt.

My best wishes to you...

Karen

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:38 am

Clarify...that is 1 1/2 months.

LFC in Virginia
New User

Postby LFC in Virginia » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:52 am

Well the doctor's office just called and they put me on Septra DS for three days. He said it probably wouldn't interfere with the C diff. Of course, I'm worried but this is my GI doc and he should know. Thanks for letting me know that you can get Azo over the counter. I am in so much pain I have trouble getting to sleep and I hope it will help. Also, thanks for all your prayers and good wishes. Bert

Justmyluck
New User

Postby Justmyluck » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:23 pm

Three days of Macrobid 2 times a day worked for me. I was even peeing bright red blood, i was afraid i needed something stronger but the Macro did the trick.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”