Eye Drops

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Justmyluck
New User

Postby Justmyluck » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:14 pm

Thank you Roy! Today my throat pain is not bad but i do get that annoying wet cough but it will go away during day. Thank you!
Still loading on probiotics...it's been almost 5 yrs but i will fear this all my life.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:02 pm

I agree with Roy. See a good ENT for a medical diagnosis.

I had the same problem when I had repeated sinus infections -- lots of polyps in my sinuses -- supposedly caused by allergies. (I'd taken allergy shots for years.) I'd had one surgery earlier which didn't work.

In my late 40's I had two sinus infections a year which responded to antibiotics including Septra (not a big C. diff offender). However, I developed a rash the last time I was on Septra so the allergist prescribed Vantin -- which led to C. diff. and other problems. My ENT told me he stopped prescribing Vantin because the first 3 people he prescribed it for developed C. diff. At the time (l993), it was the "drug of choice." Now it is rarely used.

My son had the same problem with allergic polyps. Surgery was a Godsend for both of us -- but not without complications so ask the ENT what they are if this is your problem.

PS Sleep with your head elevated. Sometimes this helps. Also, drink lots of water. You might ask your doc. about Mucinex -- an OTC expectorant. There are other "sinus tips" in FAQ.

Justmyluck
New User

Postby Justmyluck » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:38 pm

Thank you all!
Bobbie and Roy great tips, i love this website.
p.s. I've had only one sinus infection 5 years ago. What has been bothering me soo much is post nasal drip, and i'm not talking about clear drip my is thick yellow stuff but i'm getting use to it by now....it's going on for a year. Docs just give me things to dry things up but they don't help. I cut back on the dairy.
Good night everyone.

Woman51960
Contributor

YES THEY CAN!!

Postby Woman51960 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:06 am

I went to the doctor last week; diagnosed with Pink Eye in both eyes. He asked if I was allergic to anything and I said, "I don't like to take any antibiotics as I have been a long time sufferer of cdiff". He gave me a prescription for Ofloxacin to be used in both eyes every hour for the first 48 hrs then every 4 times a day for the next five days. About day five my hands started swelling, rashy and painful. This is how my hands reacted in the past to cdiff. A few days later all those familar cdiff symptoms started reappearing. So I feel eye drops can and do cause cdiff for past sufferers of cdiff. I have been doing OK for the past few years as I have been staying away from the doctor's office and have not been taken any antibiotics. This is what happens to me when I go to the doctors---I get cdiff again! I will never ever take another antibiotic again! I will self treat with Oil of Oregano again; and try to find all natural cures for any ailments.

Vikingjeff28
Long Time Contributor

Postby Vikingjeff28 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:48 pm

That is unreal, sorry to hear and hope you knock it out quick. I am still fighting, 18 months on and off now, see my ID again today at 2:00.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:36 pm

Sulfa eye drops work against most eye infections and are at low risk for C. diff.

I, too, have never heard of eye drops causing C. diff. (don't absorb much), but C. diff. is a strange disease -- as we all know.

cloudy48
Regular User

Re: YES THEY CAN!!

Postby cloudy48 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:48 am

Woman51960, is it possible it's just a coincidence. My son has been fighting C-Diff and he was just prescribed Ofloxacin. Pediatrician is well aware of my son's situation and she said not to worry about it. I also asked the pharmacist if this ABX eye drops could interact with intestinal issues, he said no. Antibiotic eye drops are not absorbed through ingestion, they don't make their way to intestines, isn't it similar to antibiotic creams?

How could you treat eye issues with oil of oregano?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Eye Drops

Postby beth22 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:36 am

You are posting on a thread that is 6 years old. These posters no longer post here. You can try to see if any of them have an e-mail listed and you can try to contact them.

I have used antibiotic eye drops and ear drops both and never had a problem. Creams do get absorbed into the skin, but generally an antibiotic cream is only used on a small area. I have used Bactroban without problem and I use Neosporin all the time.

cloudy48
Regular User

Re: Eye Drops

Postby cloudy48 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:44 pm

Thanks Beth,
Sorry about posting in old thread, did not realize that at the time since this was one of the few search results with this specific eye drop.
I was actually concerned because my son had to get these drops and I was worried if the drops travel through tear ducts to nose then make their way to gut, but I guess they are totally different type of AB's, and hopefully they don't cause any issues in guts.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”