Here we go again....

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Here we go again....

Postby klt03301 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:55 am

Hi all,

Well, it's back. I just called my ID doc, and he's starting me on vanco as soon as my pharmacy opens this morning. It started with horrible cramps, then, well you know the rest. I so want this to be IBS, but I don't think it is anymore. I'm going to post in TMI...maybe it's just tummy upset from the antibiotic I was given for UTI. I have another day left of it to take. Please check my post in the TMI forum. I'm scared to death and so sick.

Thank you,

Karen

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:49 am

Is it possible for you to take in a stool sample somewhere that does it the same day? I used to get D* from the first pill of any erythromycin family AB. Hopefully it is that. The toxin tests are fast now; the problem is places usually only do them once a day so you need to find out where to do it quick.

carrie
Regular Contributor

Postby carrie » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:58 pm

Karen I am so sorry to hear of this scare!! I do hope it is just a glitch caused from the antibiotics but if in fact it is another bout with c-diff just remember you are stronger than that frickin bug and you will be prepared to battle it out of your system quickly. I know how terrified you must feel so I just want to let you know I will be thinking of you, praying for you and wishing you a much more tolerable battle this go around. You have been so supportive to others, including myself, so let us support you in whatever way we can. Take Care. I will be away for a couple of days but will check the board Monday to see how you are doing. Take Care
Carrie

HEATHER28
Long Time Contributor

Postby HEATHER28 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:11 pm

Karen,
I cant tell you how sorry I am! I feel so bad that you have to go through all this all over again but, remember you beat it once you will be it again! We (I) are here for you, you know you can count on us when you need a shoulder to cry on.
Heather

Cdiff free 7yrs! Cdiff left me with IBS but, I am dealing with it!!
"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for. Perfection is god's business." Michael J. Fox

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:47 pm

Thanks, you guys. I'm still toughing it out; holding off on taking that vanco. My ID doc told me to finish the macrobid; have one more capsule left. The nausea and some pain have started w/in the past 2 hours, but no trips to the loo. Waiting on that to see if I start the vanco. Pretty sure I'm going to have to; don't feel good at all.

Yes, I beat it once, but it was pure hell. I don't want my life on hold for another year; I don't want to suffer for another year; I don't want to lose all that weight again...I have gotten thin this summer from exercise and don't have as much to lose as I did the last time I got C-Diff.

Thank you for keeping me in your prayers...I appreciate you all so much!

Karen

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:39 pm

I understand what you're saying completely. I feel the same way. But, until you get a positive test be hopeful - maybe the macrobid is giving you the symptoms without it being c diff. There's always that possibility. Think back to the days before c diff - didn't some antibiotics give you intestinal upset sometimes? Hopefully that's what it is, but at least you have the vanco there in case it isn't. Let us know how it goes.

I just got back from the colon & rectal doctor and told her about my relapse and her response was "Well if you relapse again, just give yourself a stool enema from a healthy family member." I wish it were that easy, but apparently she's done it for inpatients in the hospital, which I didn't realize. Some people have posted success with those enemas - if you don't want to do your prior treatment plan, at least there is that option. For me too, I guess. Will continue to pray and think good thoughts for you.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:46 pm

I just saw on your other post that your stomach was swelling some and that you had taken Florastor. Florastor gave me a lot of gas and bloating when I took it. Also if you got the nausea after the macrobid, maybe it is that. See how it is the day after your last pill. Maybe things will settle down and get better and with the probiotics you're taking you can fend off the c diff.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:07 pm

Thanks, Beth. That's exactly what I'm going to do...just wait it out and see. I wish my doc would tell me to give myself a stool enema from a family member. He's a stool enema/fecal transplant snob :-(...wants nothing to do with it. He's a good doc, though, and he's very kind...kindness goes a long way with us C-Differs.

I sure hope things come along well for you, too!

Karen

jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

Postby jenkelly15 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:37 pm

Hey Karen it's been a long time I have been so crazy with Connor lately but I wanted to check in on everyone and see how everyone is doing. I am so sorry to hear of your scare. I will pray for you that it is just the AB making your tummy act up. That can happen and hopefully that is what it is. Please post and let us know what the results come back. Hope your summer is going well besides your stomach issues.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:46 pm

Hi Jen! It's so good to hear from you! I've been having a GREAT summer until recently. My tummy is better now and no vanco. Yay! I got lots of encouragement here, as always. I hope you've been doing well! Sounds like you've been busy with Connor; that's wonderful. :-)

Karen

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:37 pm

Karen,
Glad you feel beter.

I take Macrobid (50 mg.) daily for a chronic UTI's & IC. Don't like it but don't have much choice. Supposedly, it's one of the "safe" antibiotics. Have been on it for over 2 yrs. So far, so good.

HEATHER28
Long Time Contributor

Postby HEATHER28 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:55 pm

Karen,

So glad that you are feeling better!
Heather

Cdiff free 7yrs! Cdiff left me with IBS but, I am dealing with it!!
"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for. Perfection is god's business." Michael J. Fox

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:53 am

Thanks everyone! I am doing well! :-D

jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

Postby jenkelly15 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:08 pm

I am so happy to hear that you are feeling better. Thank goodness!!!!

carrie
Regular Contributor

Postby carrie » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:54 am

What a scare, soooo glad you are feeling better - now go eat some blueberries!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”