How long does it take for vanco to work?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
beth22
Long Time Contributor

How long does it take for vanco to work?

Postby beth22 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:39 am

Can any one tell me how long you have to take vanco before symptoms clear up? I have a lot of bloody mucus today following my relapse on Sunday - didn't have as much yesterday. Started vanco just yesterday - so it's only been one day, but I'm nervous that this strain might be resistant to it. I'm taking 250mg. My fever hasn't come back so far though.

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:44 am

It is very unlikely that you are resistant to Vanco. Most say it takes 2-4 days,in some cases possibly a bit longer. Just remember to space any probiotics you may be taking away from your Vanco by at least some hours, to give both the best chance of working,and remember to stay hydrated if you are still having many bathroom trips. If those have slowed down, that is likely a good sign also.
Hoping for a cure.

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:55 am

I forgot to mention that "IF" you are taking any Florastor at this point, it may be a good idea to stop taking that until you are no longer passing blood. Other probiotics are fine, but they say taking Florastor while passing blood can "rarely" cause the yeast to go into the blood stream. It is quite rare, but better to be on the side of caution..
Hoping for a cure.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”