How long can these spores live in our bodies?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Brittany
Regular User

How long can these spores live in our bodies?

Postby Brittany » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:35 pm

I've read that the spores can live on surfaces out in the open for up to 5 months (scary!). But I am wondering how long they can live in the gut? Once you're not experiencing symptoms anymore and can claim that you've "beat the beast"...have you really? Or will the spores forever live on just waiting for their next opportunity to flourish?

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:05 pm

I don't know that anyone truly knows for sure but most believe it will be a lifetime ordeal. I read about a lady on here who relapsed almost 20 years after her first bout but I would imagine it is rare to relapse that far out. Also most say they can live on surfaces 6 months and up to 2 years.

Brittany
Regular User

Postby Brittany » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:11 pm

Oh my gosh! That's even more scary! Looks like I have a long future of bleach cleaning and hand washing to look forward to. Thanks for your info.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:51 pm

Brittany,
I just read your case history. It sounds like you have beaten cdiff. I surely hope so. I'm so glad that you found the site useful. It saved my life. My primary care doc misdiagnosed my cdiff for a horrid month (and she told me to take Lomotil and tylenol with codeine, both of which probably contributed to my getting p colitis). Then my GI doc quit on me after 3 months, so without this site I don't know what I would have done.

Here is the official welcome: Welcome to the group that no one wants to join. It sounds like you have done a lot of reading already, but be sure to read All Users Read This First, Dr. Borody's article, Dr. McDonald's article (in the FAQ section under Articles by Experts), and all areas in FAQ that interest you.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:58 pm

Brittany,
See Dr. Borody's article -- lst forum.

Human infection occurs through ingestion (via the mouth) and if the bacterium survives acid and bile on its passage into the bowel it may be eradicated by the normal bowel flora. However, if the bowel flora is suppressed because of concomitant use of antibiotics, CD can colonize the flora and remain with the patient – generally for life. In some individuals it seems that antibiotics are not required for colonization to take place. This may be perhaps due to inadequate defense of the naturally occurring flora within the bowel. CD is a very hardy organism probably because it contains spores. Spores are unable to be eradicated by any currently known antibiotic. One way of eradicating spores is to autoclave the spore-containing specimen using a sterilizer. Of course a patient cannot be placed in a sterilizer. However some natural bacteria appear to be capable of inhibiting the growth of CD and even eradicating the spores and this characteristic has been used to develop ‘bacteriotherapy’ which will be described below.

Don't panic, however. Most people recover with one to two rounds of Flagyl or Vanco. Some can take antibiotics again, but it's important to try to minimize the use of them. Some take probiotics. They appear to work for some and not for others. See the info. on probiotics in Treatments and FAQ.

Brittany
Regular User

Postby Brittany » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:29 am

Unfortunately, I'm one of the unlucky ones who did not get better after Flagyl or Vanco despite the use of probiotics throughout. I've taken Flagyl twice and Vanco six times. It's been 9 months and I was just exhausted. 3 weeks ago today I went to MN and had the Nasogastric Stool Transplant done with Dr. Rubin. In the past I've relapsed between 4 and 16 days from stopping antibiotics, so I am starting to see a faint ray of hope as I am still feeling well--no signs of cdiff yet (knock on wood)!

So now I am looking to the future. I just wonder, if I have really beaten cdiff, how possible it may be to get it again down the road. I've also read posts from alot of people who first got it while they were pregnant. My husband and I are planning on having children soon, and I am concerned this may bring about another relapse since I now know I will probably have these spores camping inside me forever.

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:57 am

Your right that many have gotten it while pregnant but for most all it has been because of the use of antibiotics from being sick, nothing really to do with being pregnant. A few have had c sections I believe and had to use antibiotics for that. There are always options that you can try and you are well educated now on when not to use antibiotics. Don't let c diff stop you from having a beautiful family. There are stories on here of people who have had babies post c diff and are doing great.

Amanda

Brittany
Regular User

Postby Brittany » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:34 pm

Thanks guys! You are all great. All of the info makes me feel much better.
Brittany

"If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it."

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:30 am

According to two of my doctors the spores can live within your body forever just waiting for the opportunity to come knocking on your door again if opportunity arises. I believe them after my lengthy bout of this beast!
Cindy

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”