irregular heart beat

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Mia-Mia
Regular Contributor

irregular heart beat

Postby Mia-Mia » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:53 am

Anyone experience an irregular heart beat after cdiff? Seems Like i have been having these weird heat beats. My heart is not fast or anything but . I went to Cardio they have done an echo that came up normal. I wore a hear monitor for 24 hrs and I am waiting for the results. Yesterday I had such a bad day with them. but never chest pains or dizziness or anything. Not sure My potassium was just a little lower 3.4 normal starts at 3.5. WTF i am not sure anyone expiernce this? MY BP is normal even duing the weird beats. Anyone have werid heart beats after c diff?

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:32 pm

Yep....ever since I got C-Diff in 2/08. Has not gone away. Like you, I wore the Holter monitor for 24 hours...nothing abnormal other than a some fast beats...nothing dangerous. It's absolutely mind-boggling and very uncomfortable at times. Happens especially after eating (even a crackers.) I'm not diabetic. Cannot attribute it to heavy meal. BP last checked 113/72; heat rate 54 (could have fooled me!) I'm 48 years old; get lots of exercise. It's the weirdest thing, and I believe C-Diff and palpitations are related. I know my body, and no one will convince me otherwise.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:11 pm

The same goes for me -first a fast heartbeat and then with c diff irregular heartbeat.

Beth

Vikingjeff28
Long Time Contributor

Postby Vikingjeff28 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:36 pm

Definitley as I am now on Toprol for the irregular beat. I went into A Fib in Feb. and they ran all the tests, said my heart is good and strong, no blockages. Take the Toprol, work out, play ball run and if I have any troubles. I still have an irregular beat now and then but nothing major so far and I work out hard and run. I stay away from all caffeine and take no sinus meds(like I used to) and it really helps not aggravate the situation. My Cardiologist acts like it is no big deal and told me to let him know if I have more issues. They do EKG every three months as a precaution.

Mia-Mia
Regular Contributor

a Fib

Postby Mia-Mia » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:17 pm

Omg maybe thats what is happening to me. what happens with A fib how does that feel?. They do not want to put me on any meds. Now am scared

sangeeta
Regular User

Postby sangeeta » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:33 pm

I have had irregular heart beats and heart tremors during cdiff and even after cdiff now. Was put on a holter monitor for 48 hours and echo, all normal. Still can't sleep on the left side due to heart tremors. The doctors don't think much of it and think it is all in the head.

Mia-Mia
Regular Contributor

beats

Postby Mia-Mia » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:14 pm

San
How long do they last ? mine were so bad this time and they lasted on an off for a week and for 2 days they were really bad. Yes the Docs treat you like you are making it up. They fell like flutters and thumps

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:06 pm

I can speak from my experience both prior to c diff and now. Since I was very young I have had issues with flutters and then racing heart rate(400-600 bpm) and the second felt like I was dying. I went to many drs and many tests. I eventually had a cathater ablation done to correct the racing heart rate but have always been left with the flutter. From what I gather from all the drs I have seen is that a flutter can be absolutely normal and many many people experience it. I noticed mine was really bad when I had active c diff. "Flutters" can be increased by other factors. The best way I have found to control them is by avoiding certain things. No caffeine, no chocolate, no alcohol, low-stress, and make sure you get 8 hours sleep. All of these are huge triggers to set off your heart. Try cutting them out and see if it helps. Mine is also so sensitve that heat and physical work set it off.

Amanda

abby
New User

Postby abby » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:49 am

Before I had c diff, I had atrial fibrillation. It is characterized by fast, chaotic heartbeats as the atrium goes wild. To me, it felt like galloping horses trying to kick their way out of my chest. It also left me so breathless that I had no choice but to lie down. However, there are also people who don't feel it at all and don't realize they have it until a doctor discovers it on a routine visit.

If anyone has a chaotic heartbeat that does not go away, seek medical attention. If you have some skipped beats, these are called ectopic beats and are normal, to an extent. I've read that everyone has some premature beats every day and we don't necessarily feel them. One reason for ectopic beats is an inbalance of salt and potassium in the body. Increasing potassium intake solves the problem of irregular heartbeats for many. Magnesium depletion can also be a factor.

I had an ablation which so far has "cured" my a fib. In fact, it was a few months after that hospitalization that I came down with c diff. In my mind, I've traced the c diff to that hospital, but of course, I can't know.

My c diff, by the way, caused no difference at all in my heartbeat.

abby

sangeeta
Regular User

Postby sangeeta » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:24 pm

During cdiff I was having irregular heart beats on and off through out the day and they would get worst in the night. After cdiff i get them every day early in the morning and they last for about 15 to 20 minutes.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:00 pm

I had nothing like this prior to C Diff...now, it's pretty much an every day occurrence. Some days are worse than others; worse after eating even crackers, and defitintely worse at night. It flutters, races, feels like it's turning over, etc. It is NOT in your head! There is something to this and I hope they figure out what it is! EKG normal, holter monitor test normal, blah blah...well, it sure doesn't feel normal!

Karen

Mia-Mia
Regular Contributor

heart beats

Postby Mia-Mia » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:10 pm

maybe its the flagyl that did this to us. They treat us like we are making it up,

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:43 pm

I never took Flagyl and I got it big time. I had it - racing heart, irregular beats, even before I was diagnosed. It was a little better when I was on vanco, but even post c -diff - if I ever really was "post" I've had it a lot. I take a beta blocker similar to VikingJeff to control it. It helps with the fast pulse, but not so much with the irregular beats. My doctor blamed it on "menopause". I don't think Mia that you qualify for that yet and Jeff certainly doesn't.

No one really seems to believe that it has to do with c diff, but I bet the toxins had something to do with it. Why it persists after is strange though. You would think once the toxins are out of your system, it would be gone. Maybe the toxins actually do some damage. I had a whole cardio workup too and they found nothing - even had a Thalium scan and they said my heart was ok. Good to hear, but doesn't help when you get all of these symptoms.

Beth

Vikingjeff28
Long Time Contributor

Postby Vikingjeff28 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:12 am

I was lucky as when I went in to A fib I got to ER after about an hour of them happening and they put me on EKG and got another good hour of irregular beats and racing before the Toprol they adminsitered got it under control. I blew away the stress test and all else was great. I can tell you that Sinus meds and caffeine really do aggravate it so I would stay away from those entirely.

Mia-Mia
Regular Contributor

a fib

Postby Mia-Mia » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:01 pm

Viking How high was your heart rate when you got to the hospital? where you on any meds? Has it happened again? And did you have high blood pressure at that time?

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”