irregular heart beat

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:30 pm

Never took flagyl, either.

Vikingjeff28
Long Time Contributor

Postby Vikingjeff28 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:59 pm

My beats were 150 a minute, resting and all over the place. It has not happened to that extreme again since I have been on meds and stayed away from caffeine and sinus meds. I was not on any BP medicine. My BP now runs about 110/70 and I exercise a lot, 6 days a week for about 1-2 hours a day.

pinkangel
Regular Contributor

Postby pinkangel » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:26 am

This has been happening to me as well. I am being treated for c diff with all the symptoms but no test back yet. I have been up most tonight with this. I wake up and my stomach and insides burn and hurt I sweat all over and then I get weird flutters and fast heartrate. They cannot find anything on my nuclear stress test holter monitor and echo either. The er and drs have noticed fast heartrate over 125 many times. It seems my flutters calm down after a BM so maybe the toxins are causing it . I always have them before a BM so seems likely. I seem to have them a lot of mornings as well for about 15 minutes and my palms sweat then.

Last year I had these flutters, fast heart rate and upset stomach bad every day as well. I was bedridden for about 4 months and scared I would die of a heart attack. I had over 25K in tests done for all kinds of things. I only had one cdiff test and neg but I know they can be false and I did not store it right before bringing to office and it was very little that time. I now am thinking I had c diff last year as well and never got rid of it and its coming back again now. I had taken Cipro a few times before it started. The only thing the tests found was my thyroid was borderline with tsh of .50 but they said it cannot cause symptoms as bad as mine. I lost 25 lbs and looked and felt horrid. I ate tons of yogurt and about 6 months later I finally got back to halfway normal but still had occasional D flutters and such. Now I have moved and taken another antibiotic and the symptoms are back.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:52 am

That's almost exactly my story. I had an episode of D* which got better after a few weeks of eating yogurt, but maybe 6 months later after taking Cipro I did test positive for c diff. I take atenelol for the heart - it is very little, but it keeps it under control.

CDiffMommy
Regular User

Postby CDiffMommy » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:25 pm

I have also had a feeling of my heart racing after CDiff. Mine feels more like that "can't get a deep breath" kind of feeling. I've been told that it's anxiety but as I think Karen said, I know my body and I really don't think it's in my head. I really think that all of this ties in together and it can't be a coincidence that whenever my stomach acts up (PI IBS or whatever it is), I get a weak feeling and I tend to have the breathing/heart issues. I also get sort of a pain in my upper back as well.
Hopefully at some point everything will be "normal" again.

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:11 am

As many of you know I have had problems with my heart for a good while now fluttering, beating fast etc. This all began in early days of cdiff but progressed to where it truly got my attention not long ago. In the beginning they told me it was anxiety and gave me xanax for periods when I felt like I was running a marathon but sitting still. It truly did make a difference for a long time. Anxiety can and does cause many symptoms.
Cindy

Mia-Mia
Regular Contributor

HEART BEAT

Postby Mia-Mia » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:09 am

cindy you are so right. Stress causes eveything from High blood pressure and elevated blood sugars. Stress can make us feel horrible makes us feel like we are gonna die sometimes. We all need to try to relax BUT that is so easier said than done. Anyways Cindy have you been better?

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:04 pm

Whatever this is, I can truly say it isn't stress in my case. I notice it more after I eat; it seems to be linked to digestion.

Karen

Mia-Mia
Regular Contributor

digestion

Postby Mia-Mia » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:42 pm

Oh I understand. your right about the eating thing, it is worse after eating. I was told because when we eat our hearts need to pump more blood to hel in digestion. So think that it is why we feel it more then. BY NO WAY AM I SAYING ITS ALL STRESS. Beleive me they happenn when I am not stressed at all. Today Was a horrible day I had about 30 of them. Wasnt stressed at all. SO I dont knoe cardioligist said they premature heart beats I hate them I want them to stop!!!

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:02 am

Mia, I have just learned to live with them. My doc offered me a beta blocker to make me more comfortable...I do not want to take any more pills, so I declined. Ever since C Diff, I'm cautious about taking meds, but I've had to be on 2 antibiotics since, and supposed to start a third tomorrow for UTIs. Scary, scary. One was Augmentin, and I'm kinda waitin for the Diff to hit me; I would not be surprised.

Karen

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:07 am

I take a beta blocker and it doesn't really help the irregular beats much. It does keep my heart from racing and controls my blood pressure, which since I've been so weak and sick from the c diff these last weeks, doesn't really need controlling. But those irregular beats have been with me ever since c diff and get really bad before a relapse. Unless you have other reasons to take a beta blocker, I agree with Karen - just one more pill to take. I wonder if they ever come out with a pill that kills the c diff spores if these after effects will also go away or if they're permanent. I suspect they're here to stay.

Vikingjeff28
Long Time Contributor

Postby Vikingjeff28 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:39 am

I also take Beta Blocker, Toprol to help with A fib and irregular beats here and there. I exercise unlimited now, BP runs around 110/65 or so.

Mia-Mia
Regular Contributor

pacs

Postby Mia-Mia » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:53 am

Well after 2 good weeks they have started really bad yesterday. i called the cardio today and I had to beg them to please let me do the heart monitor again because they are so bad; They finally agreed but told me they want me to start a small dose of Antaol i think its called. i am scared because my BP is usally low to normal and i am afraid it will make it go too low. Anyways i have the monitor on and i have had many episodes So i hope that they get a good read. If it comes back normal with only benign pacs i think i should try the meds but i am scared. This start right after C diff. Maybe i should try to ignore but they happen so often. I DONT DO ANY CAFFeine So i dont know why they started up again.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:51 am

Mia - Atenelol is the beta blocker I take. If you have low blood pressure, it will knock it even lower. It was hard for me to get used to this medicine. The lowest dose is 25mg and I only took 1/2 pill - hard to cut as it is so small. Even that was too much for me,so I only take about a third of a pill. For a week or two I was extremely fatigued and felt like a zombie. Beta blockers are also medications that you can't stop abruptly - you have to taper them or you could wind up with more heart problems.

The atenelol helped my fast heartbeat a lot and did lower my pressure some, which at that time was around 140/90, but I got those irregular heartbeats when I got the c diff and I was already on the medication and got them in spite of the medication and still get them in spite of being on the meds. It didn't help me with that much at all - only the fast heartbeat.

Beth

pinkangel
Regular Contributor

Re: pacs

Postby pinkangel » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:09 am

Mia-Mia wrote:Well after 2 good weeks they have started really bad yesterday. i called the cardio today and I had to beg them to please let me do the heart monitor again because they are so bad; They finally agreed but told me they want me to start a small dose of Antaol i think its called. i am scared because my BP is usally low to normal and i am afraid it will make it go too low. Anyways i have the monitor on and i have had many episodes So i hope that they get a good read. If it comes back normal with only benign pacs i think i should try the meds but i am scared. This start right after C diff. Maybe i should try to ignore but they happen so often. I DONT DO ANY CAFFeine So i dont know why they started up again.

How los is your blood pressure. I have low BP and was advised against it. I had the holter monitor for 2 days last year ( of course they did not happen much those 2 days) . They told me I looked ok from the readouts. This year I had an even monitor you press when you have one and you can record 5 times for 20 seconds. They did not show anything but I wondered how they could since they only record 30 sec after you press it which is after you have the palp.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”