Yogurt and Diet?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
LDavila
Brand New Poster

Yogurt and Diet?

Postby LDavila » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:24 pm

Is there a certain brand of yogurt that is highly recommended? Any other recommendations?
Lori D.

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:37 pm

Activia Dan Active NOT the LIGHT!!!

Vikingjeff28
Long Time Contributor

Postby Vikingjeff28 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:27 pm

I eat Activia and take Align probiotics, so far so good.

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:35 pm

I drink alot of Kefir, a probiotic smoothie drink with 10 active live cultures in it.

I also prefer Breyers Yo-crunch, it has Bifidus and Acidophilus.

Danactive drink 1 -2 times a day.

Activia is good for some, but regularity is not a problem for me at this point. It actually gives me bad cramps if I eat it now.
Hoping for a cure.

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:21 pm

Lori,

My G.I. recommended Activia while I had C-diff, but my main concentraton was on probiotics. After much research, I took Florastor probiotics. Took 6 per day when I was first diagnosed with C-Diff, then tapered down to 3 a day. Now, at four months post C-Diff I still take 1 florastor each day. They are rather pricey, but, in my opinion, well worth it.

Kathy

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:24 am

My GI recently recommended Align for IBS. (Some develop it after C. diff.) It's pricey. His nurse said to "call around" as prices vary widely. Sometimes, the newspaper will have $5.00 coupons for Align. It's a fairly new probiotic.

I took Florsator (when it was S. boulardii) for 2 years -- first as part of a blind study and then on compassionate usage -- during my first bout of C. diff. It didn't hurt or help me. I also took Culturelle (originally Lactobacillus GG) for over a year with the same results. The last time I had pneumonia (5th time), I took VSL3 and asked for a Z-pak instead of Avalox whicht the doc. wanted to prescribe. (Avalox is related to Levaquin whiich caused my second bout of C. diff. ) Z-pak and almost any antibiotic including Flagyl (rarely) can cause C. diff. however. I didn't develop C. diff. -- much to everyone's surprise. Was it the Z-pak or the VSL3? Who knows.

Probiotics and Florstor appear to work differently for different people I think they fall under the category of "can't hurt -- might help." Many swear by them; they don't help others. Unfortunately, most of them are expensive.

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:20 am

KEFIR as well I take and the two together have "cured" me along time

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”