Caretaker's Risks?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
LDavila
Brand New Poster

Caretaker's Risks?

Postby LDavila » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:06 am

My 82-year-old father-in-law has c diff. His 85-year-old wife lives with him and my husband and I are primary caretakers as we go in and out of their apt.

What are the precautions we should all take? Should we be tested also for c diff? What symptoms should we look for?
Lori D.

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:07 pm

Hello LDavila

The best precaution is of course hand washing,keeping hands away from face ect. Spores are only spread via fecal /oral route, so the hands are the most apt to pick up spores.

It is not necessary to be tested for C Diff, unless you start to have symptoms of the illness. These can include cramping, watery and or bloody bowel movements,fever,. If symptoms appear it is important not to take things like Immodium as it keeps the toxins in the system.

People who have recently taken a course of antibiotics are more succeptible to contracting C Diff.

If you are doing any cleaning for your In laws, using a mixture of 1 part bleach / 9 parts water is the only thing that will clean up/kill any spores in the environment.

Again, hygiene, vigorous hand washing is your best defense.

Good luck, I hope your Father in law recovers quickly.
Hoping for a cure.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:56 pm

LDavila,
See FAQ-Hygiene. Good handwashing is your best protection.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:26 pm

LDavila,
Welcome to the group that no one wants to join, for you and your father-in-law. Be sure to read All Users Read This First, Dr. Borody's article, Dr. McDonald's article (in the FAQ section under Articles by Experts), and all areas of FAQ that concern you.

You have gotten a lot of good advice. People here are the best! Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:10 pm

Lori,

I had C-Diff for 4 months. My husband and family members utilized a different bathroom. I cleaned my bathroom with concentrated bleach and water everytime I had "D". The main focus should be washing your hands. I would concentrate on you mother-in-law, especially with specifics as far as hand washing goes, since she is elderly. All you have to do is touch an affective area and bingo...... you can develop C-Diff. Good luck to you and your extended family.

Kathy

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:17 am

I think it is fair to clarify a thing,
In order to develop C Diff (from affected areas)you must ingest a spore. Also be either immune compromised, and/or have taken a course of antibiotics recently.
Then,even with that being the case,simply touching an effected area will not give you C Diff..unless you immediately, or later put your fingers in your mouth, or make a sandwich(example) and eat it,without washing your hands first.
Hoping for a cure.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”