Isolation in Assited Living?!

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
LDavila
Brand New Poster

Isolation in Assited Living?!

Postby LDavila » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:01 pm

My question is this - my 82 year old father-in-law has c diff. The short story is he had surgery late April for colon cancer. He was in the hospital and nursing homes for 6 weeks with many complications and c diff. He's been in an assited living facility for the last few weeks which helps my husband and I a lot in terms of others caring for him - it gives us peace of mind. He was just diagnosed with c diff again - we're not sure if it is a relapse or just never cleared up. They want to isolate him there to his apartment. He doesn't want to do that and wants to go back to his own apartment. That would not be good for my husband and I because he would require too much care there. What can we tell my father-in-law in terms of why he should stay where he is and be isolated? What advice or suggestions do you have for him and anyone living in such a facility with c diff? What kind of isolation is really necessary?

Please help!

Regards,
Lori Davila
Lori D.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:54 pm

I can only tell you that I caught c diff from my mother when she was at a rehab hospital and was isolated as were many of the other patients there. However, the spores in those facilities are kind of all over the place. I would see aides changing diapers on the patients and with the dirty gloves touch other objects like the phone, light switches, etc. That is how I caught the c diff and I've never been as sick in my entire life.

I also have been corresponding with a woman who caught it from her father in law when he was released from a rehab hospital and she and her husband brought him to their home to take care of him. She got sick very shortly after. The best thing would probably be to talk to a doctor and get very specific instructions for the caretakers - especially if he wears Depends or needs help with going to the bathroom. Find out what they need to do to protect themselves. Gloves, of course, are a must for those two examples.

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:00 pm

It is a normal thing to want to go home for anyone! Most likely he may have been exposed again to cdiff if he has been well up until now. However, it is definitely possible to relapse up to 1 year (a couple of people have on this site) but in most cases is unlikely once the original infection is gone for 6 weeks or more. If it were my Dad I would just try to explain to him that with this infection he needs constant care and it is not within your ability to provide it to the extent you feel needed. The need for isolation is precautionary because cdiff seems to flourish in nursing homes and at least they are trying to contain it. Have his doctor talk to him about the isolation being temporary for not only his own good but for the good of others. Possibly it will just take time for him to adjust to his new living arrangement. Try not to feel guilty as having been a caretaker myself of my Mother who had colon cancer- it was DRAINING to say the least on me. I did not have the sense about me or the nerve to suggest nursing home to her and by the time she passed I was near collapse as I had no help. Just try to check in on him DAILY so the staff knows you are coming at different times of the day. We all will be old one day and it is rough to give up your independence- even when it is essential to do so. Good luck and I will pray for both of you.
Cindy

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:40 pm

As Bobbie said wash your hands vigorously with soap and water and KEEP your hands outta your mouth ALWAYS otherwise UNLESS they are 2washed/clean!!!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”