relapse while on vanco?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:35 pm

What Roy posted makes a lot of sense,also, once again your patience is being tested, by now you are most likely an expert in that area! Here's hoping you get a good healing result from the procedure.
Hoping for a cure.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:37 pm

I'll try your suggestion, Roy. Can anyone else give me some ideas of what to eat? I can't tolerate even the slightest bit of dairy, no vegetables or fruit. I will try a few pieces of banana and see how that goes. I can eat meat, rice, and potatoes though, although Roy says potatoes are not good - but they do have potassium, so that is why I try to eat them.

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:57 pm

Plain unsweetened oatmeal. Add a bit of unbsweetened apple sauce for flavor. Oatmeal feeds good flora, and the Applesauce will give you the vitamin C as well as bulk, that you may lack from a raw fruit"free" diet.
This has become a staple in my diet,more so in the early days of C Diff, but I continue to include this daily, as I am trying to rebuild my"good" gut flora.
Hoping for a cure.

Vikingjeff28
Long Time Contributor

Postby Vikingjeff28 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:57 pm

We are with you! When I was trying to recover I had:

Ensure(Lactose and Gluten free)
Soy Milk and Soynut Butter(Replace Peanut Butter)
Gluten free everything from health food store. It made a HUGE difference in about 3 days.
Right now I am eating Gluten again, no spicey foods, no tomatoes, nothing that would be gassy(beans, cucumbers, etc.). My favorite is Soy milk, Peanut Butter(all natural), Honey, Banana and Ice smoothies. Drink about 1-2 of those a day. Take 2 fish oil tablets and vitamins, Align Probiotics and Activia Yogurt(you can sub lactose free yogurt with live bacteria). I eat chicken, fish, NO red meat, hard to digest.

Hang in, stay persistent with your docs, you WILL defeat this...

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:01 am

beth,
Don't give up. Something will eventually work for you. It took we 4 yrs. to recover from my first bout. My second bout was two years later after pneunonia and Levaquin.

For diet, see FAQ- Nutrition.

sangeeta
Regular User

Postby sangeeta » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:13 pm

Beth,
Praying for you to feel better. During early stages of cdiff my naturopath had suggested chicken broth with a little rice, he was of the opinion that the absorption of the broth is better with the rice and is lighter on the stomach. Take care!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:00 pm

Still not doing too well - am waiting for the results of a celiac panel that was run last week. Apparently infections can cause gluten intolerance too. It seems that every time I have gone on vanco I wind up with more problems. C diff test from yesterday was negative, but it still may be wrong as it was only 1 1/2 days after the last vanco pill. Will have to repeat at the end of the week. Today I had to go and get the blood tests for all the vitamins that I may be malabsorbing or just not getting because of poor diet. If this keeps up I think the doctor is going to put me in the hospital and I really am afraid to go as that is the best place to get c diff again.

I've never eaten oatmeal, doesn't it cause D*? Maybe I will try the baby food one and add rice milk to it. I know oatmeal cookies used to help keep me "regular". Can't believe I used to suffer from constipation before I got sick.

trob25
Regular Contributor

Postby trob25 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:33 pm

Ugh, Beth, every day I come here to read your posts hoping to see that you have had a turn for the better, I'm so sorry to hear this is continuing.

As for Oatmeal, it has always been a stopper for me, but I make mine chunky and not so watery. I had some IBS last night and had oatmeal for breakfast today, haven't gone again since. Of course this may apply only to IBS and not active C-Diff (if you even have active C-Diff). Anyone know for certain if Oatmeal is ok?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:49 pm

I'll try it and see how it goes. Am still wondering why this all happened when I started back on vanco. Looked on internet and saw that vanco caused pancreatic damage in some lab animals in a trial. Will have to ask the doctor about that too. I never did very well on that medication - maybe it did do something last week, who knows.

sangeeta
Regular User

Postby sangeeta » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:44 pm

I have been having oatmeal two times a day since cdiff and have tolerated it well. Initially, I made it very watery and once my tummy got used to it, I thickened it. I do hope you will not need to go to the hospital. My family and I always pray for you, Please take care.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:58 pm

Thank you Sangeeta and all of you. Sorry to post so much today - I know we're supposed to limit it to one or so. Not been a good day - still feel bad, but at least one good result - I don't have celiac disease, so I can try the oatmeal, which I will do. I'm also trying the salmon oil caps. Thanks for the prayers Sangeeta and others. I continue to pray for all of you as well.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:09 pm

Beth,
Like everyone else here, I have been following your story and I am so sorry that you are continuing to have problems. That is lousy. I really hope that you are feeling better soon. You are not alone. We all care about you. I have my fingers crossed.

FYI, the limit on posts only applies to new topics. You can post on a continuing thread as much as you like (until it gets too long, that is, and then one of the mods, probably Lauren, will lock it).

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:57 pm

Just waiting for all the test results. Doctor wanted to check liver and pancreatic enzymes to see if the vanco caused any problems and checked all the vitamin levels. Hope to hear something by the end of the day or will have to wait til Monday.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:54 pm

Well, the pancreatic and liver enzyme tests were ok. Only B vitamins and folic acid came back and was also ok. Won't know about the rest of them until next week. The doctor said to eat more calories per day - to try 2,000. Easier said than done. Today was not a good day. I tried some baby food - sweet potatoes last night and I guess my intestines didn't like it. Or maybe it was the bananas, but that was earlier in the day and I didn't have a problem yesterday. Tonight will try the salmon oil capsule with dinner and see if it helps.

I see the GI on Monday and if I'm not better maybe he can give me some medicine that people with colitis take. Don't know if it would help or if I even have colitis. Vikingjeff you said you had colitis - did you take any meds for it or only the probiotics and fish oil???

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:53 pm

Hi Beth,
I am sorry you are still struggling. I was reading that you tried baby sweet potatoes and that didn't go well. I can tell you from my sons experience with the c diff and eating baby foods afterwards sweet potatoes cause him some nasty nasty diapers. They were so bad I thought he had c diff back. I give him bananas twice a day and they really help to keep things together. Continuing to pray for you and know you will beat this!

Amanda

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”