amoxicillin vs amoxicillin/clavulanate

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Hannah's mom
Brand New Poster

amoxicillin vs amoxicillin/clavulanate

Postby Hannah's mom » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:31 pm

Hello. Could someone tell me why if amoxicillin is a narrow spectrum antibiotic is it listed in the "likely to cause" category? I am wondering if it is being confused with amoxicillin/clavulanate (if there is even a difference). My daughter (now age 6) had CD 2 years ago and has managed not to need any antibiotics since then. Now she has strep and needs meds and the doctor has prescribed amoxicillin. The doc, the pharmacist, and what I have read online tell me it is a narrow spectrum drug so I wonder why it seems to be thought of as a high offender. She has had her first dose tonight and I'm hoping I am making the right choice by giving it to her. I have been loading her with probiotics since Thursday and praying it works. Any information is welcomed. Thanks.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:15 pm

I was told years ago by my doctor that Amoxicillin is broader than regular penicilling like Pen Vk. It is also a synthetic penicillin. I am allergic to Ampicillin and Amoxicillin which are both broader spectrum and synthetic, but not to Pen Vk, although I still steer clear of it. The one with the clavulanate is Augmentin, isn't it? It has potassium in it - not sure why. You could ask your doctor is Pen Vk would also work for strep throat - I think erythromycin does too and is listed as less likely to cause c diff, but I don't know how effective it is for c diff.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:43 pm

Hannah's Mom,
My son developed C. diff. after two rounds of Amoxicillin. See FAQ-Antibiotics. Almost any antibiotic can cause C. diff. (including PenVK) but believe PenVK is narrower in spectrum and usually works against strep. Call your doc. & pharmacist to double check.

Beth is right about Augmentin. Believe erythromycin is usually given when someone is allergic to penicillin & it can be effective against C. diff.

Remember, this is not a medical web site. We are not in the medical field.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”