Doctors in US performing fecal transplants without C Diff?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
ClDif
Regular Contributor

Doctors in US performing fecal transplants without C Diff?

Postby ClDif » Tue May 26, 2009 6:00 am

Hi all,

haven't been on the site in quite a while. I had c diff last year (got rid of it with IVIGs and Vanco) and have since been dealing with either ulcerative colitis or crohn's - doctors don't seem to be able to decide, biopsies are not quite clear. It's not debilitating, but it's not nice either and I would like to have a fecal transplant done in order to restore my bowel flora to as close to normal as possible. I know there is no proof that an infectious cause or an imbalance in flora leads directly to IBD, but I have done a lot of research and would like to give it a try (Borody had some very promising results for UC this way). All available IBD medications other than 5-ASAs seem to be way too invasive for my taste and I'd prefer to go down this route first.

Anyway, I have run out of potential donors in my own circle of friends and family (had 2 tested, one had a bug - which shows again how essential it is to have a donor thoroughly tested !! - and the other had to take ABs before I got to use her), otherwise I would already have done the enemas myself. I live in Germany an no doctor in this country (or in the whole of Europe as it seems by my research - but that just can't be true) seems to offer the technique, neither by enema nor the nasogatsric tube way.

Am coming to the US in July (Boston and NYC area) though for holidays. Hence my question: Have any of you heard of any doctors offering the procedure for patients other than those with active c diff?? Who apart from Dr. Aas and Brandt offer the treatment at all? Might be worth contacting them to inquire. I doubt though that it will be possible... Given how controversial the whole treatment still is, even in the US or Canada. But just thought I'd ask you guys - sometimes you just know it all ;-).

Thanks to you all!

carrie
Regular Contributor

Postby carrie » Wed May 27, 2009 4:48 pm

I don't think you will find a doc in US or Canada that will do it without a positive C-diff test. I contacted the HPI research centre in Australia as I continue to have so many issues and they were even hesitant as they say it is truly for people who have ongoing, persistant bowel issue that interfere substantially with there life. Plus I would have to stay 5 weeks in Australia and I'm not I also think they would want you to be on Vanco or flagyl before the transfusion as they want the bacteria levels wipwed out as much as possible. I did them on my own after consulting my physician but I didn't want to go back on vanco and that is why it was not really successful. I still have crazy symptoms and my food choices are limited. This past week I was on holidays and I had an attack two days before I was to run in a race I had entered. On the day of the race I was still having multiple bowel movements so I finally took an immodium and it calmed everything down and I still got to run(not as fast as I wanted to but I still ran). I hope your holiday to the US is good and you find some answers to your GI problems.

ClDif
Regular Contributor

Postby ClDif » Fri May 29, 2009 3:36 am

Thanks Carrie!

Yes, I know, it is not likely that I will find someone... May have to find and test my own doner again and just do it myself. I still have a good supply of Vanco left - might as well use it ;-).

Will do some more research first though...

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”