False Possitive?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
nancysueh
New User

False Possitive?

Postby nancysueh » Sat May 23, 2009 9:55 pm

HI,
My husband got Cdiff after a hospital stay for pneumenia. He was given Vanomycin and on the 14th day had a normal stool. He had mols surgery on his nose and the plastic surgeon insisted on giveing him leveqin (i am mispelling these) I begged him not to as I said it would cause c diff and he said it wouldn't. I said are you going to pay the 470 it cost me? He said don't worry it wont. well . after 5 days on it.. He got it back again! This time i tried flagel and after 14 days on it he gradually got his normal stool back a week later on the 21 st day. He was constpaited for a few days. I also gave him Cureltlle *2a day Florator4 a day and lactobacillus 2 a dayand Jarro-Dophilus 1 a day.

Today I gave him these also * Dr. Ohhira's Probiotics 12 Plus Original Formula --
Nutrition Now PB 8 Pro-Biotic Acidophilus for Life -
and Nature's Way Primadophilus® Reuteri -

He never had any disconfort but had D every two hours when he had the c diff.

THe test showed possitive that came back today from giving it tot he Dr yesterday.

The Dr on call called me back and said since his stools are firm and he has no abdominal pain it probably is a false possitive and not to fufill the vano perscription the regualr dr gave me.

I like that answer but I think that the regular dr is going to tell me to have him take it. won't know until after the holiday when the regular dr returns.

any suggestions? not only the money but having to wake him up every 6 hours at night is awful.
I live in New York City so I asume that the dr did the assay test but I will ask on Tuesday when he returns.

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Sat May 23, 2009 10:20 pm

The good docs usually treat on symptoms only after a course of flagyl or vanco. This is for two reasons. One you could have full blown D and test negative because it is too soon after taking the meds and also you can have no D and actually be doing better and test positive because you can still be shedding the toxins. My gastro refused to retest because she said it was pointless. Some people have tested positive up to 6 weeks out even though they weren't relapsing. We can't give medical advice but I would say if it were my personal situation, I would give my good bacteria a chance to take back over. I think if I wasn't having any symptoms I wouldn't treat as there is really nothing to be treating. That is just me though. Make sure to talk anything over with his dr and decide whats best from there.

Amanda

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Sun May 24, 2009 12:52 am

Some people have had positive cultures for some time after all the symptoms had subsided. It is possible that it just takes time. Personally if it were me I would not be too worried about it as long as I felt fine and was symptomless. However, I would follow up with normal doctor after the holiday.
Cindy

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Sun May 24, 2009 10:22 am

Re you going to have to pay the plastic surgeon?

Mia-Mia
Regular Contributor

positive test

Postby Mia-Mia » Tue May 26, 2009 3:09 pm

Sometimes if the stool that is tested is solid the test can be a false positive. IT is possible, But i agree with CindyM. Do not give antibiotics if their are no symptoms. Just my opinion.

Mia-Mia
Regular Contributor

false positive

Postby Mia-Mia » Tue May 26, 2009 9:49 pm

There was another person on this site falco22 i think that had a similar thing happen. But I think they banned her from this site. So we never heard of how she is. Not sure why she got banned they never say.

nancysueh
New User

follow up

Postby nancysueh » Thu May 28, 2009 6:25 pm

I took a 2nd sample to be tested yesterday and it too was possitive. The dr said to treat with 2 weeks of vanomycin.

I gave him on pill just now and will do it for the two weeks. The Dr said he never heard of a false possitive.

now I just read the replies about not wanting to if there were no symptoms. but i did. I can always stop .

Just don't know what to do.

Right now I am giving him it. but now do I stop all the probodics? except for the one that is not affected by the pill i think that is the florisar

Mia-Mia
Regular Contributor

how is he

Postby Mia-Mia » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:07 pm

Hey havnt heard from you. How is he?

nancysueh
New User

He is doing great

Postby nancysueh » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:29 am

He just came off the Vancomycin last Wednesday and I was very worried as the stools started to be soft and I thought I saw mucus.. however I think it was the fruit he was eating. I re started the probiotics again and cut out the fuit and gave a bratty diet. and in a few days the stools were soft but well formed and seem to be getting harder. It was scary for a few days. he was only going 3 x a day so it was't full out diahreah by any means. Today he went twice and I think all is well.
One doctor I went to, the internest said he wouldn't have given him the second round of vacomycin if the stools were hard but I had already begun it and it was the gastro dr who said to do it.

I am giving him 5 probotics, twice a day on an empty stomach. I think the proboics are helping but there is no way to tell for sure. I'm going to contintue them until I run out and see if he maintains a good stool. He is gaining weight . this week 1/2 pound to 118. I made sure he has 2000-2500 calories a day. He was 106 March 6th.

Mia-Mia
Regular Contributor

probiotics

Postby Mia-Mia » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:54 pm

Hey take it easy on the probiotics. They can also cause soft stools and D Gas and all that . TOO much of it is not good.

Bobbie
Administrator

TMI

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:26 am

Once again, a reminder to keep descriptive details in TMI. Yes, I know this is part of the disease, but this is one reason C. diff. is not taken seriously -- the "yuck" effect of GI infections.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”