beating c diff without antibiotics?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Mia-Mia
Regular Contributor

beating c diff without antibiotics?

Postby Mia-Mia » Sat May 16, 2009 8:59 pm

Has anyone here beat c Diff without antibiotics, or heard of anyone who has?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat May 16, 2009 9:09 pm

There was someone called concerned lady that posted on here before that beat it taking Florastor and no antibiotics. You might try and contact her. I saw her e-mail address listed in a post about infusions. She didn't have one, but provided the contact information for the people in Duluth.

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Sat May 16, 2009 9:28 pm

It is not recommended to try to do this. Not trying to scare anyone, but your post scares me more!- Clostridium Difficile is a potentially deadly illness,without proper treatment it can kill!

It is another thing when coming off a proper treatment to keep taking probiotics to "attempt" to fend off recurrence, but to attempt to treat the initial illness with nothing but probiotics is extremely risky.
Hoping for a cure.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat May 16, 2009 11:42 pm

Mia-Mia,
Read Dr. Borody's article. He mentions some can "beat" C. diff. just by stopping offending antibiotics.

This is a "doc." question, however. Ask your personal physician. I wouldn't do anything without running it by him/her first.

Mia-Mia
Regular Contributor

no antibiotics

Postby Mia-Mia » Sun May 17, 2009 9:13 am

No I understand. I am trying to see if others have tried alternatives other than stool infusions. Of course we should all consult with our physicians.

Hua Kul
Regular Contributor

Postby Hua Kul » Sun May 17, 2009 7:54 pm

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun May 17, 2009 9:34 pm

Where can you buy the calcium disodium? Does it come under any particular brand name?

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Sun May 17, 2009 11:25 pm

In the event you have a very mild case and symptoms are tolerable then it is always best to eat well and hope that your gut bacteria will take control once again on its own. However, should it progress and get worse then medication should be received at once due to the violent nature of p.colitis in some patients.
Cindy

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Sun May 17, 2009 11:28 pm

forgot to say- Of course you should be under the care of your doctor and take any advise he or she gives you. There are documented cases of people getting rid of this beast on their own taking only pepto. I wish i had been that fortunate.
Cindy

Hua Kul
Regular Contributor

Postby Hua Kul » Mon May 18, 2009 6:14 am

Mia-Mia and beth22, I have sent you private messages.

Hua Kul
Regular Contributor

Postby Hua Kul » Mon May 18, 2009 5:52 pm

One therapy that it might be good to investigate is the use of low dose naltrexone. This upregulates the bodies own immune system by a factor of about 3. It also regulates the immune system (as in, helps out in autoimmune diseases) and in studies so far is proving to be very effective against Crohn's and MS. Penn State University has done a couple of studies so far for Crohn's and studies for MS are currently being conducted in Italy. This is currently outside the mainstream but it may not be long before it is a generally known therapy. Of course, maybe not, since there is no money to be made in this generic FDA approved medication for this off label use. Since it is a prescription medication it would need a doctor's approval, and since the dose is so low it has to be obtained from a compounding pharmacy. As an example of its effectivness, Dr. Daniel Rubin of Scottsdale uses it in combination with IV alpha lipoic acid against pancreatic cancer and has had good success ( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1648 ... d_RVDocSum ). I personally believe it may prove to be effective in helping one's own immune system against cdiff. If one could be so lucky as to find a doctor that would allow one to try this treatment it could prove or disprove its effectiveness. The information site for low dose naltrexone is here, http://www.lowdosenaltrexone.org/ .

God Bless,
--Hua Kul

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Tue May 19, 2009 12:51 am

Hua Kuhl- Are you a doctor? You seem to have a lot of knowledge in many medical areas. Just curious on my part. I know you lost your dear wife to this deadly disease and hence do a lot of research. However, I was just wondering if you were indeed a part of the medical profession.
Cindy

Mia-Mia
Regular Contributor

topic

Postby Mia-Mia » Tue May 19, 2009 7:41 am

Cindym his wife did not die of C diff. He just knows alot about it just like you.

Hua Kul
Regular Contributor

Postby Hua Kul » Tue May 19, 2009 1:06 pm

Hi cindym. My wife was in the end stages of myotonic muscular dystrophy when she contracted cdiff in the hospital in April of 2008. She died in November of the md. Her breathing muscles became too weak to work her lungs, and she didn't want to go on life support of any kind. She died at home under the care of a wonderful home hospice company named Vitas. We were sitting and talking just 12 hours before she died, but from that point she slowly went in and out of conciousness due to lack of oxygen, until her heart stopped. Giving her oxygen was worse because she couldn't breathe out the CO2 and it would knock her out, then just prolong the inevitable. Thankfully, for the last couple months of her life she did not have cdiff.

I don't work in the health field, I'm in the computer field. My interest in medicine started about 14 years ago when I was diagnosed with type II diabetes, and I just started studying on my own. One has to look beyond a lot of incorrect information, and put 2 and 2 together quite often, then go searching again, but if one keeps searching a lot of answers are out there. Thanks for asking.

God Bless,
--Hua Kul

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed May 20, 2009 1:56 am

Hua Kul,
Hospice is wonderful. My mother is on it now. I am glad your wife (Lily, right?) was under their care.

Again, we are sorry for your loss.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”