How/when is it decided to stop meds?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Suezer
Long Time Contributor

How/when is it decided to stop meds?

Postby Suezer » Mon May 11, 2009 10:16 pm

I have as most know, been on a taper/pulse of Vanco since February 22. I got to 1 pill every 3rd day, but started to have some "issues" so my ID put me back to 1 every other day for a week, things got alot better. Now we are trying 1 every 3rd day again.-for 2 weeks. He said if I get "issues" again we will go back to every other day. I assume if all goes well,maybe I will stop after 2 weeks.
I am just wondering at which point others felt safe to go off meds, or when the Dr. decided it was good to go. I realize everyone is different, but how can one really know when it is time? I really want to be off the meds,maybe if I can get through these 2 weeks with no issues coming up,it will happen.
Hoping for a cure.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Tue May 12, 2009 11:56 am

As you know, stopping meds is up to you and your doc. I followed the pulsing schedule in FAQ. But when I got close to the end, I got scared, so I added a couple of round of 5 days off and 1 day on, and then 6 days off and 1 day on. This was okay with my ID doc, who was very helpful. Good luck.

monacat
Contributor

food for thought

Postby monacat » Tue May 12, 2009 11:59 pm

i think that i suffered from vanco related ibs. i have felt much better since coming off of it completely. fewer iffy days(i say with my fingers crossed). a totally different feeling. normal? i think you should talk to your doc about coming off it completely soon and figuring out what your normal is.

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Fri May 15, 2009 7:57 pm

Well I have not gone to the 1 every 3rd day again..yet.

Had some minor "D" last Saturday,didn't turn into anything,no colitis,pain or otherwise, so I waited it out. Decided to wait a bit to start next pulse,seems my ID is letting me decide when to start it..

Now having awful sinus symptoms, seems an infection,pain over my left teeth,icky drainage -just trying to beat it with natural stuff. Geez I'm so tired of all these issues..

Will be at least some weeks most likely, before I can dream of going off the Vanco.
Hoping for a cure.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”