Dulcolax (stool softeners)

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
CDiffMommy
Regular User

Dulcolax (stool softeners)

Postby CDiffMommy » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:32 pm

Hi - I will make this as non TMI as possible - I was left with a small present following CDIFF - it looks like i'm going to have to take a stool softener (dulcolax) - I spoke with my GI and he said it should be fine, but I was just wondering if anyone on here had to take one after they had cdiff and if they were ok or if it caused them any issues?
Please keep in mind that I've been on of vanco for about 3 1/2 months and I'm feeling great....tests came back negative....still on florastor....all seems to be going well.

Not that I think Dulcolax is going to bring back Cdiff - but you know how this messes with your head....and I just wanted some feedback.

Thanks in advance!!

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:09 pm

I also had that problem a couple of times after c diff. I will tell you what I did but recommend you would talk to your dr before deciding to try it. I was told by my GI and my regular dr to take Miralax. It is extremly gentle, in fact so gentle that they give it to babies if need be. It is also nice because it is a powder so you can start out with 1/2 dose and see how that goes and if you need more you can up it. I never had any cramping with it so it was gentle for me.
Amanda

JohnB
Contributor

Postby JohnB » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:50 pm

Hi, I'll also try to keep my response not-TMI. :)

Prior to when my own problems began I had to take a stool softener quite often to keep regular. I took Dulcolax and one pill as needed worked like a charm. It's not a stimulant laxative, all it does is draw water into the bowels so that it's easier "to go". I think it says on the box something like "gentle and easy" and it is indeed exactly that. I can't tell you for sure though if it will cause any problems but I really can't see trying it once would cause any major issues, even after C. Diff.

CDiffMommy
Regular User

Postby CDiffMommy » Fri May 01, 2009 2:11 pm

thanks so much for your replies. I tried one this morning so we'll see. I am assuming it takes a day to kick in?
Did any of you have to resort to prescription creams or anything, or did your "issues" heal on their own with the stool softener and baths, etc? I've had this for awhile and the last few days seem to be worse. I have heard that the prescription cream causes headaches and stuff though so I'm so reluctant to use anything I don't have to (even more so because of the CDiff). Does anyone have experience with that?

Thanks again

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri May 01, 2009 3:05 pm

Try Desitan salve.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”