Probiotics - With or Without Food ???

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
sks001
Regular Contributor

Probiotics - With or Without Food ???

Postby sks001 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:27 am

Hi All - Just wondering how each of you take your probiotic(s). Asking because I've had this awful 24/7 nausea since being supposedly cured of C-Diff in July 2007 (took Florastor for 3 months after but that didn't help the nausea). So I'm desperate to try anything, but only one at a time so can tell if makes nausea worse or not. However, each probiotic has different directions - so aggravating - here are just 3 examples:

Primadophilus Reuteri - Take 1 capsule daily with or without food.

Culturelle - Take 1 capsule per day. Capsule may be opened & mixed into cool drink or food. Do not add to warm or hot foods or beverages.

Probiotic Advantage by Dr. David Williams - Take 1 beadlet daily with water on an empty stomach.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Assume I can quote Kelly Karpa since it's already posted under Professional Contributions:

-Take your probiotic on an empty stomach. This means one hour before eating or two-to-three hours after meals.

-Take your probiotic with non-chlorinated water or milk.
Sandy
Southeast Michigan

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away".

sks001
Regular Contributor

Postby sks001 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:37 am

Oops - forgot to ask whether you take first thing in morning or just before bed? Can't find any info on when the best time is to take one. Thanks!
Sandy

Southeast Michigan

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away".

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:13 am

I take a Saccharomyces boulardii + MOS usually 20 min after eating. 1x in the morning and 1 X at night.

The only other pro Bs I take are in the form of food/drink: Yogurt/Kefir/Dan active.

When ever I try to add another Pro Biotic (pill form) I get very crampy, and upset stomache. So I stick to the basics.

I am no expert, is it possible you dont need all of those any longer?
Have you tried cutting down to 2 or just one?

I drink alot of Green tea (decaffeinated) it is quite soothing as well.
Not sure I helped but I am sure some Veterans will chime in soon enough.
I hope you find a solution, constant nausea has got to be just awful to live with.
Hoping for a cure.

sks001
Regular Contributor

Postby sks001 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:49 am

Suezer - As I said, I haven't taken any probiotics since October 2007 - continued Florastor for 3 months after C-Diff. Just thinking about trying one now.
Sandy

Southeast Michigan

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:09 am

Ah I misread your post,its been a long brutal day.I'm Sorry about that!
Hoping for a cure.

sks001
Regular Contributor

Postby sks001 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:32 am

No problem Suezer - done that myself! By the way, what is MOS?

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:18 am

MannanOglioSaccharides is considered to be a pre-biotic. In that it feeds the good gut flora.

This is taken from a web page I found also:

All mannooligosaccharides are used by Bifidobacterium adolescentis, Lactobacillus acidophilus, and Lactobacillus gasseri. On the other hand, bad bacteria such as Clostridium perfringens and Escherichia coli that produce mutagenic substances could not use mannooligosaccharides. Therefore it could be expected that mannooligosaccharides had a potential to promote the improvement of healthful human intestinal microflora as prebiotics.

*There is 200mg of MOS in each Saccharomyces boulardii + MOS tablet. I use the Jarrow formula.
Hoping for a cure.

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:07 am

Empty stomach after a cup hot tea and banana in the the morning before work and then The only other pro Bs I take are in the form of food/drink: Activia/Kefir/Dan active too before work etc.... My stomach has since been feeeling great! 2 yrs now. After I eat lunch I usually am OK! But i ve been on PPIS for the last en yrs or so... Take this an hour before dinner....no problems!

JohnB
Contributor

Postby JohnB » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:47 am

I always take them with food, and it's worked for me.

sks001
Regular Contributor

Postby sks001 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:37 pm

Suezer - Oh, I've only heard of Fructooligosaccharides (FOS) and Inulin as prebiotics that the good bacteria has something to feed on. Will have to Google MOS. Thanks.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:38 am

See FAQ-Probiotics (VSL3, Culturelle, P. Defense, Yogurt, Kefir).

Years ago, a microbiologist told me to take probiotics with bottled water -- not tap water because the chlorine in tap could kill some of the "good" bacteria. He also said to not take them with anything hot as it could have the same effect. He also said to take them on a empty stomach. I've noticed different probiotics have different instructions on the label, however, so I'd follow their instructions. Also, many have 800 numbers on the label so you might call them.

Whatever works for you!

By the way, Sandy, several on this site (including CindyM) thought p. reuteri helped her nausea.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:56 am

See FAQ-Probiotics (VSL3, Culturelle, P. Defense, Yogurt, Kefir).

Years ago, a microbiologist told me to take probiotics with bottled water -- not tap water because the chlorine in tap could kill some of the "good" bacteria. He also said to not take them with anything hot as it could have the same effect. He also said to take them on a empty stomach. I've noticed different probiotics have different instructions on the label, however, so I'd follow their instructions. Also, many have 800 numbers on the label so you might call them.

Whatever works for you!

By the way, Sandy, several on this site (including CindyM) thought p. reuteri helped her nausea.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”