Had C Diff 2 yrs ago...Now doc wants me to treat gH. Pylori

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Justmyluck
New User

Had C Diff 2 yrs ago...Now doc wants me to treat gH. Pylori

Postby Justmyluck » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:54 am

http://resources.metapress.com/pdf-prev ... ze=largest

Doc did an upper scope, results of biopsy H. Pylori positive. Prescribed the Prevpac (Lansoprazole, Amoxicillin and Clarithromycin)
This could be treated using Flagyl too but it has a lower eradication percentage of the H Pylori bacteria :/
Very concerned! Maybe i won't take the treatment.

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:07 pm

Hi Wow thats alot of meds. Is it possible you could throw Vancomycin in the mix to keep the C Diff down? You could also start to take probiotcis I suppose. Dont blame you for being concerned. My ID told me if I need an antibiotic in the future I will have to take Vanco along side of it to keep C Diff in check.
Hoping for a cure.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:18 pm

Check out the FAQ section under Antibiotics that are likely to cause cdiff. Amoxicillin is one of the worst ones. If I were you, I think I would try Flagyl first and see how that goes. If it works, you won't have to deal with the other antibiotics. Or you might talk to your doc about vanco. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

sks001
Regular Contributor

Postby sks001 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:26 pm

Justmyluck - Can you give a little more information please.

Have you had C-Diff before?

What were your symptoms to have to have an Endoscope?

Was the doctor concerned or looking for stomach or duodenal ulcers?

H. Pylori can be detected by a simple blood test. I had one 2 weeks ago.
Sandy
Southeast Michigan

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away".

sks001
Regular Contributor

Postby sks001 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:32 pm

Sorry - Just noticed your topic said you had C-Diff 2 years ago.
Sandy

Southeast Michigan

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away".

Justmyluck
New User

Postby Justmyluck » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:11 pm

Thank you all for your responses. The other choice of treatment for H.plori is the Helidac which is 14 days of Flagyl, Tetracycline and Bismuth. Like i said H pylori is more resistant to this treatment then the one with amox and clarithromycin.
I've had a persistent pain in my left upper stomach for about a year or so, my doctor did some blood test and was positive H.Pylori.
Knowing my history of C.Diff he ordered a lower (colonoscopy) and upper scopes; which were done 2 wks ago, to make sure that the H.P bacteria was active. They found a little red spot on my upper exam and did biopsy. They called me with results and a prescription 3 days ago.
I was treated with Flagyl for my C.Diff 2 yrs ago and absolutely hated the drug but now i'm outweighing the risks between nasty flagyl and one of the most likely to cause C.Diff Amoxicillin. Can't win them all, can ya?!

markjs
New User

Postby markjs » Fri May 01, 2009 9:48 pm

H-Pylori can kill you. As bad as C-Diff is, H-Pylori often leads to bleeding ulcers and can lead to perforated ulcers, in which case most folks die of it. I know it's hard to face the prospect of C-Diff again, but sometimes you have to. C-Diff is rarely fatal in an otherwise healthy person and is treatable.

I personally just got myself a new case of C-Diff because of an abscess tooth, but again abscess teeth, are extremely painful and potentially fatal, so I had to bite the bullet. I wish I knew why my C-Diff symptoms were so much milder than most folks, because I'd tell you what it is I do (if it is something I do) that makes it that way. Unfortunately medicine is still in it's infancy. You could probably call it the dark ages 100 years from now, but sometimes we just have to prioritize.

I would however ask for Flagyl to be one of the drugs to treat the H-Pylori, since it is also effective against C-Diff.

Justmyluck
New User

Postby Justmyluck » Sun May 03, 2009 1:22 am

Thank you very much for responding....to this day i have not treated the H Pylori....I guess my experience with C Diff traumatized me too much. I will ask for Flagyl which i hate instead.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”