When to wean probiotics

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
CDiffMommy
Regular User

When to wean probiotics

Postby CDiffMommy » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:58 am

Hello,
A brief background: I had a baby 6 months ago, after several antibiotics (3 different to be exact), ended up with CDiff - one 10 day round of Flagyl did not do it and I had a relapse....went on vanco for a long taper (while taking Florastor 4x per day-250mg each). I've now been off of vanco for 10 weeks (over 70 days, 2 1/2 months)...can you tell I'm counting? ;) I am feeling great! I eat everything I want (coffee, wine, salad, etc..), thank God...I am pretty close to my old self (with a few parting gifts that I will not go into). Anyway....my question is... I have been taking the same amount of Florastor this whole time....4 per day (250mg each)....2 in the am, 2 in the PM... so I was debating dropping down to 3 per day for a few weeks and then dropping down to 2 and staying at that for another month or so, and eventually going to 1. I also try to eat an Activia yogurt or drink Keifer at least once per day.
What is everyone's opinion on dropping down the Florastor? Should I stay the same...or do what I said above? Was everyone ok after lowering their intake of probiotics? I don't want to mess with a good thing but I do know that eventually I need to lower it a bit.

Thanks so much in advance! :)

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:26 pm

I did exactly what you describe, that is, taper off of the 4 probiotics I was taking. No problems. This was about 6 months post-cdiff. Good luck.

Daisydogmom
New User

Postby Daisydogmom » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:47 pm

I have been giving my son probiotics since he had it. I plan to taper him off slowly after the one year anniversary passes in a few weeks. Boy has it been expensive. I really had no idea when to taper him, either (neither did his doctors). It is just so confusing. Good luck!

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:38 pm

I'm unsure as to whether the question is tapering down to just one or none at all. Is there a reason for going off of probiotics? I've been taking them for over a year now. I alternate 3 different types every month. I've heard they may lose efficacy over time, but is there another reason other than this and the cost?

Thanks,

Karen

trob25
Regular Contributor

Postby trob25 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:08 pm

I wouldn't taper down and go off them completely. How about you taper down to one per day? It can't really hurt you and is probably still beneficial. I'm down to taking one culturelle and one primadophilus reuteri per day along with one glass of Kefir and one Danactive.

I'm staying on this for at least a full year (I recently crossed the 6 month mark) and I'll probably drink Kefir forever.

trob25
Regular Contributor

Postby trob25 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:12 pm

Oh, and if things are going well, I'd just stay on what you are taking for 5 -6 months, that's a good safe point to then begin reducing, only if you want to. Pro-b are not going to hurt you.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:48 pm

Thanks Trob!

CDiffMommy
Regular User

Postby CDiffMommy » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:26 am

Thanks for your replies everyone - just to clarify - no, I do not intend on coming off of them at all. It's just that I am taking 4 Florastor capsules per day now and I wanted to taper down to 2 per day. I just didn't think it was necessary to stay on 4 for so long, but I wanted everyone's opinions. My doctor had told me to taper after a few weeks but I didn't feel comfortable with that. I figured I'd go from 4 to 3 for a few weeks and then go down to 2, and stay on 2 for two more months. Then I'll go to 1 and take that forever.

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:18 pm

i ll never ever stop my activia, dan active, and kefir everyday now forever no matter what

CDiffMommy
Regular User

Postby CDiffMommy » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:49 am

Vike - I agree, I will always take Florastor (along with Activia or Keifer) every day.....I'm just thinking that at some point it makes sense to take less than 4 Florastor capsules per day....my intention was never to stop, just to wean/taper to 1 or 2.

Thanks again everyone.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”