Chlorhexidine for disinfectant?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
LocationEarth
Brand New Poster

Chlorhexidine for disinfectant?

Postby LocationEarth » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:12 pm

Hello everyone,

I have recently been diagnosed with C. diff so I am trying to absorb as much information as possible at the moment. My question is regarding the use of a Chlorhexidine solution as a disinfectant. I know it has viricide/bactercide properties and that it can help eliminate the C. diff bacteria form, but can it kill the spores?

I have tried to find information regarding this and used the search function here on the forum but have not been successful. I have a gallon of Chlorhexidine in my possession which I use for my animals but thought maybe I could use it as well.

If not, I guess I'll just use a bleach/water solution like everyone else. Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:20 pm

Bleach with water; 1 part bleach/9 parts water. That is the only way to kill the spores.
Hoping for a cure.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:48 am

LocationEarth,
Welcome to the group that no one wants to join. Be sure to read All Users Read This First, Dr. Borody's article, Dr. McDonald's article (in the FAQ section under Articles by Experts), and all areas in FAQ that interest you.

You have gotten some good advice. Folks here know a lot and are really helpful. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”