Systemic symptoms while recovering?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
JohnB
Contributor

Systemic symptoms while recovering?

Postby JohnB » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:35 am

Is it normal to occasionally have systemic symptoms in the weeks and months after recovering? I'm talking about things such as chills, hotflashes, insomnia and nightsweats. Are these just as common as having occasional cramping, bloating, etc. even while the C. Diff is no longer active? Or do these indicate that the infection is active?

Thanks,
John

JohnB
Contributor

Postby JohnB » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:37 am

(I'm sorry, I just thought of something to add to this. I wish there was an Edit button for our posts.)

In addition, for those with PI-IBS, do you get non-D symptoms when your IBS acts up?

Thanks,
John

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:55 am

My IBS is all over the place. In the beginning it was marked by the semi D. I am now 6 months out and it is no longer the D. I do get the chills, especially if I eat something that doesn't agree and they just lay me out. I feel so sick. I figured out something as simple as just a little bit of oil on a subway sandwich would give me horrible nausea and chills the next day. The only reason I figured that out was because my husband had the same issue and said everytime he got oil he wouldn't do so hot the next day. You could be eating something but not thinking there is any chance it is causing you problems but it really is. I have had the hotflashes too and it has always been related to something going on in my stomach but has not resulted always in D. IBS is tricky. I still very much have it but don't have D with it anymore. Now it is all cramps, nausea, pain, sometimes bloating. I did start taking Align because my GI asked me too because it has been studied with IBS and it has definitely helped to reduce the frequency of my symptoms. If things are bad I also do the YoPlait Digestive yogurt for a couple of weeks and take Benefiber.

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:17 pm

Hi John, was just wondering if you went to your new Dr. and how that went.
Hoping for a cure.

JohnB
Contributor

Postby JohnB » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:33 pm

anlockwood - Thank you. I think I may be dealing with bad IBS right now. I've been having cramps, D, and chills. But as far bathroom visits go, things otherwise look and smell "healthy."

Suezer - The doctor visit went great. He was actually the most helpful and patient doctor I've seen since this all started for me. He suspects that I did have C. Diff but am now left with either IBS or colitis. He did order a couple more C. Diff tests just in case. He wants to do a colonoscopy and endoscopy though to see what's going on. I'm not happy about that, but if they helps to determine the remaining issue then I guess it's for the best.

The thing I'm most concerned about is the cramps though. They're worse than ever, and are predominantly on my left side. I'm hoping it's just some inflammation and not diverticulitis or a gall bladder issue. I'm still a young guy, I shouldn't be having these kinds of problems. Jeez.

falco22
Contributor

pain

Postby falco22 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:41 pm

John Go have the Colonoscopy its a good idea. Its not bad i am afraid of everything and had it 2 months into C diff. As far as pain on left side I had it for up to 6 months after c diff thats your large colon. Your gallblatter is on your right upper side. I still have some cramping and D every once in a while. And Lol every time i pass gas I am like ohhh its that a C diff smell? The same when I have a bowel movement. SO paranoid this stuff leaves us with. I did good with the prep I was just a little sore after. BUT it will put yu at piece of mind. So go do it. Good luck to you. I am still not right bowel wise but I am doing pretty good.

falco22
Contributor

align

Postby falco22 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:44 pm

PS I did not do so good with align A week into it I had some pretty bad D and cramps. BUT if it works for you stick to it. Do you still get the rumbling sounds? i do on occasion.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”