Sushi

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
CDiffMommy
Regular User

Sushi

Postby CDiffMommy » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:12 pm

Hi, this may sound like a silly question, but I know you guys are so supportive that you will be ok offering some opinions. ;)

So, it's been two months that I've been off of vanco (a bit of background: was on Flagyl first for 10 days, relapsed and then went on long vanco taper over about a two month period), with a negative test and feeling wonderful, thank GOD. I'm still on Florastor 4X per day, plus yogurt. I eat and drink whatever I want and feel fine (including coffee, wine, pizza, salad, you name it).
SO my question is this - before Cdiff, I used to eat Sushi (rolls, and cooked, nothing raw really)....and haven't had it in so long because I didn't even have it while I was pregnant (and after delivery is when I was diagnosed with cdiff). I'm nervous to have it again because of all the "bacteria" stories associated with it. Do you think I should stay away from it for awhile, for that reason....? Even though I'm not eating anything raw, it is most likely made on the same surface and I'm just so nervous about bacteria these days (obviously the bad kind).
Interested in hearing people's opinions.

Thanks for listening! :)

CDiffMommy
Regular User

Postby CDiffMommy » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:01 pm

That is a wonderful suggestion Roy and although I'd love to say yes, I'll try it - I have a hard enough time making simple dishes these days with a little baby and working! Do you think it's playing with fire, honestly, to eat it out somewhere? Or do you think I'm over-reacting?

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:33 pm

I am cautious about eating out. I only eat where I can see the food prepared so then I can decide whether or not to eat. After having c diff we all become very very cautious about washing our hands before preparing or eating food. When you go out to eat you run the high risk that the chef or whomever hasn't bothered to wash their hands and you have no idea how stuff in the kitchen has been cleaned. I think when your stomach is still unstable it is best to avoid this situation but that is just personal opinion. I am sure there are many who go right back to eating out very soon after c diff and do fine but I would rather dodge that bullet until I feel my stomach bacteria is really built up. I love Subway, lol because I can see them make it and they where gloves but unfortunately I don't trust much outside of that. I have seen so many nasty things done to food and done by employees making the food that I just don't want to take the risk that one of them could pass something on to me like the nasty norovirus that is going around. Do what you are comfortable with! If you have some concerns then just wait and if you feel okay about it then enjoy!!
Amanda

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:57 pm

Yeah remeber the Seinfield episode where Jerry was dating the chick whose Da was the owner and Chef of his own Italian restaurant! ARGGGGGGH!

CDiffMommy
Regular User

Postby CDiffMommy » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:08 pm

Oh no, Vike, HAHA that is a terrible episode. haha.
Thanks everyone - yes, I agree, that we are overly cautious after getting this. I used to use paper towels to open up the bathroom doors, etc. at work BEFORE C-Diff, so you can imagine me now. However, I have eaten out since, and I eat lunch from my work cafeteria every day (they do wear gloves, thankfully)....but I think my main concern with the sushi is not so much that they are not clean, but that there is a greater risk for bacteria with that type of food than most others (in my opinion anyway). I think that is why I'm so hesitant. I'd think nothing of having a burger out, pasta, etc...
I think maybe I'll wait another month til I'm past that 90 day mark and maybe use that as a mini celebration dinner. haha

Thanks again everyone - you guys are great, as always.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”