Sinus Infection

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
HennyPenny68
Contributor

Sinus Infection

Postby HennyPenny68 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:22 pm

Since the other discussion was locked, I thought I would start a new post. Just wanted to share some info I learned from my ENT doc. Regarding the sinus rinses, my doc said not to do it more than twice a day. More than that can actually make it a little worse. Back before I knew this I used to do it several times a day and I could not get better. When I saw my doc, they said too much with the saline can actually cause it to dry out. So now when I think I'm getting an active infection, I do it twice a day. Otherwise, I still continue to use it once daily for maintenance. Of all the things I've used, this is the most helpful to me. I like to use an electric irrigator but when I'm away I use the Neil Med squeeze bottle. I prefer it over the neti pot because I tend to have ear pain with my infections and having to tilt your head to the side with the neti pot causes it to go into your ears.

I learned a lot from a book written by an ENT doc that has helped me tremendously! Main recommendations are to drink LOTS of hot tea with lemon and honey, several cups of chicken broth, and Clear Ease supplements. I am surprised by how much those supplements have helped me. Whenever I have a bad day of sinus pain, I start on those and the next day I'm much better.

Anyway, I hope this can help someone else. I've had to live with sinus issues for a long time which is what caused me to join this club. I wish I had known some of what I know now. Best wishes to all!

trob25
Regular Contributor

Postby trob25 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:44 pm

Hey thanks for the information. I have only been using my neilmed once a day, primarily because I have to pour water from my water filter, which is stored in the fridge and is ice cold, then let it sit for hours till it hits room temp. Neilmed said not to use straight tap, so hopefully this is satisfactory.

With work all day, I really only have time for one rinse to become room temp anyway, but good to know more then twice can cause problems. I seem to have managed my sinus infection with mucinex, lots of water drinking and saline rinses.

HennyPenny68
Contributor

Postby HennyPenny68 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:39 am

I have always bought distilled water from the store which depending on where you get it from can range from 70 cents to $1 a gallon. Also, I heat my water in a glass measuring cup in the microwave. It is so much more soothing. I think the neil med bottle even says you can warm it in the bottle in the microwave but me personally I think I wouldn't want the possibility of the plastic melting. Usually 2 cups of saline water for my microwave needs only 45 seconds so that might give you an idea of how long to judge. You are right to use the Mucinex also. That is another thing that I personally use. I take it every night at bedtime along with my allegra for my allergies.

I'm glad you're doing better though! It's such a relief when you can avoid an antibiotic!

HennyPenny68
Contributor

Postby HennyPenny68 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:43 am

Oops, I forgot to mention that my water is usually already at room temp when I put it in the microwave so if your water is ice cold I'm sure it would be a lot longer. You would just have to judge for yourself and try not to scald your sinuses......lol. I just wanted to let you know that it is okay to warm your solution up in the microwave.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”