topical AB

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
mommy2maddi
Regular User

topical AB

Postby mommy2maddi » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:06 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have searched this site and countless others about CDIFF and topica AB'S. I have a horrible raw knee from falling and went to the doctor today and he wants me to apply a topical AB to my knee because it is borderline infected. Does anyone know anything about this? He put some on before I left but I am debating on whether or not to continue! Thanks in advance!

Nicole

Mommy to Maddi and Jack
CDIFF after 2 rounds of Augmentin after Sinus infection 4/08
Beat it after 1 round of Flagyl

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:22 pm

This is just personal opinion not medical advice. I had supposed MRSA and that is what caused my c diff. After I was treated for c diff the supposed MRSA flared up again and I had to treat it. I used Muprocin(an antibiotic ointment) and Neosporin. I used it for probably 3 months straight on my leg and had no problems. In fact I was colonized with staph in my nose and had to treat that by putting the Muprocin in my nose for 7 days and I know that drained down my throat. I had absolutely no problems and would use it in a heart beat and do today if I notice something is getting nasty. My personal concern is that it is much more dangerous to let something get a full blown infection and have to take oral antibiotics then it is to treat it topically and avoid that scenario. Trust me you don't want to mess with MRSA or staph because almost always require oral antibiotics and can require mutlitple treatments. It is not a road some with a history of c diff wants to go down. This is just my personal opinion though. I am sure there is always a risk with any type of antibiotic anything.
Amanda

falco22
Contributor

topical stuff

Postby falco22 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:19 pm

In my case I have used topical antibiotics many times since c diff with no problem at all. I cut up my leg pretty bad used some prescription topical antibiotic for 2 weeks with no hesitation. IN MY opinion I dont think you have anything to worry about (AGAIN ONLY MY OPINION my situation) I even used a intervaginal antibiotics which is more intense with no problem. Ask the pharmacists he will tell you how much gets absorped in your body. Again its not going to your gut.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:56 am

mommy2maddi,

Same here. Had C. diff. twice (once for 4 yrs.) & am had high risk of having it agan (am on a PPI plus 50 mg. of Macrobid as a preventative for UTI's/IC).) Have used Neosporin countless times without a problem.

If you still have doubts, call your pharmacist or doc. Just don't use any salve that had Clindamycin in it. (Would require a prescription.)

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”