Possible Sinus infection - safe things to take?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
trob25
Regular Contributor

Possible Sinus infection - safe things to take?

Postby trob25 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:55 pm

Hi all, well I knew I couldn't escape the winter without getting sick. I almost made it, but over the last month everyone I work with or know had a cold, so I knew it was coming.

Anyway, as usual it went straight to my sinuses, I used to get 2 sinus infections a year when I was younger and I have reason to believe this is also a sinus infection, although it is very weak compared to the ones I used to get (I can smell and test food for example). Either way, I'm not going on antibiotics for this, or I know I will get C-Diff again, it's only been 5 months at this point.

Anyway, I took some dayquil without a problem, but it doesn't work that great. I want to take Mucinex D, which I'd taken pre-cdiff and it actually worked in helping to cure me without abs. Was wondering if anyone knew if that was something safe to take post C-Diff? My PI-IBS was also good for a while recently, just acting up now today.

Also any home cures for a mild sinus infection out there? I read a study last year that said most of these go away on there own in 2-3 weeks anyway, so yeah, I'd been overproscribed abs in the past in some cases. However, some are so bad they need abs. I'd like to start making it better now so it doesn't come to that.

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:06 pm

Hi Travis, have you tried the nasal rinses or neti pots? They really help. Also, I had chronic sinus infections/ problems 4 years ago, even had surgery once.

Now I find that Nasonex always helps me..its a lil pricey but worth it especially when it comes to the swelling in your sinuses that causes the pain. It greatly reduces it. Need a prescription for it though.

Lots of fluids,breathing over a boiling pot of water. Or buying some of those suda care tabs you toss on the bottom of your shower over the drain when you shower..its very effective as well.

Green tea with honey-hot. Its good for everything, and its soothing.

Theres a product I used alot also, called Emergen-c. It is great for getting over colds, ect. Its a high dose of Vitamins, especially Vitamin C. I used it all the time because it boosts your immune system also. You can find the Emergen C at any walmart. Not using it right now due to I dont know how my stomache would act..its a fizzy drink mix, you simply dump the packet into water or juice.

Hope you get to feeling better..without Antibiotics.
Hoping for a cure.

feelinghopeful
Regular Contributor

Postby feelinghopeful » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:16 pm

Here's some good info that was given to me. Also, a woman named Renee told me too about netti pots and I got one. They really do help dry out the sinuses but I had to keep using it every four hrs to stay clear but it worked - even with a bad cold.

http://www.cdiffsupport.com/phpBB/viewt ... ght=#32011

monacat
Contributor

netti pot!!!

Postby monacat » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:58 pm

I had a horrible sinus infection over christmas and used a netti pot 3 times a day and also steamed 3-4 times a day with vicks floating around in the water. i didn't think it would ever go away but it did! drug free! the netti pot is my new best friend.

trob25
Regular Contributor

Postby trob25 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:42 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone, I am drinking emergen C, I think it helps keep the cold from getting worse anyway. Never heard of those shower tabs, sounds like a good idea.

Also, I've known about the netti pot for a while, but I've been afraid to try it. I worry it will just go down my throat lol. I also read a few people say it gave them a sinus infection, but many more say it's great. Considering I also have allergies, it is something I've been interested in, just worried about the effects!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:30 pm

trob,
See FAQ-Infections- Resp., Sinus, Ear, Bronchitis, Strep, Misc.

I, too, have allergies & sinus problems. (Had three sinus surgeries -- the last one helped a lot.)

I do the saline irrigation twice a day & more if I think I am getting infection. I think this also helps cut down on infections. I have several friends who use the netti pots & one has a husband who is using one.

If your infections continue, I'd see a good ENT.

MaryT
Regular Contributor

Postby MaryT » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:39 pm

I get sinus infections about once or twice a year. The minute I feel one coming on, I go for a couple of acupuncture treatments and that takes care of it.

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:05 pm

try the nasal rinses or neti pots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

trob25
Regular Contributor

Postby trob25 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:42 am

Ok, I'm at least going to try saline and next time I go to Whole Foods, I'll pick up the Neti pot!

Thanks again :)

trob25
Regular Contributor

Postby trob25 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:17 am

Ok, I got the saline as a first step. Tried to use it and it only goes in and comes out of the same nostril, despite tilting my head and spraying for a while. Either my nose is to blocked for this to work, or I am doing something wrong. Any tips?

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:33 am

Try pinching your nose and tilting your head back for 30 seconds.( The idea of saline is basically to moisten mucous membranes.) After you do this, blow your nose a few times.

I just bought the Nel med Sinus rinse. This actually flushes out your sinuses. You gently push the saline solution through one nostril and it emerges out the other. This being done with your mouth open and your head facing down into a sink or so. Its only @ 10.00 and has like a months supply of the saline mixture packets.
Hoping for a cure.

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:35 am

Correction: I bought the "Neilmed" sinus rinse.
Hoping for a cure.

trob25
Regular Contributor

Postby trob25 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:09 pm

Thanks Suezer, I'll give that a try. Is there any limit on how many times a day this can be done? I already tried it once and hour ago, don't want to over do it.

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:51 pm

If you are using a saline nose spray (small bottle like you buy at any store) it isn't really harmful.

As far as the sinus flush, most recommend 2 times a day when sinus issues are present. Some do it daily for maintenance.
Hoping for a cure.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:21 am

trob,
I discovered saline rinses on this site. They are great for my colds. What I do is use the rinse many times a day, probably every 2-3 hours, when I first start getting congestion. Then I do it less often as the days go along. Good luck.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”