Possible Sinus infection - safe things to take?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
trob25
Regular Contributor

Postby trob25 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:10 am

Ok, it worked and the cold is gone!

It took about 3 days of using the saline 2 or 3 times per day, but my cold started to die out, and last night my nose finally cleared out and I can breath without the aid of nasal sprays of Mucinex D. In fact I stopped taking those when I started using the saline to better judge the results.

Thanks for the advice everyone! And just think, all those years of my life, doctors kept sticking me on abs three times a year for these things, saying they "wouldn't go away without antibiotics."

As a historian, I started to think back to how many people I recall dying from a "sinus infection plague" and the answer was none, meaning these things either go away on their own, or people had there own non ab cure for this.

I guess the good thing about C-Diff, after being cured of it, is that it's made me more pro-active in my health, eating better and taking natural cold precautions like Vitamin C or Emergen C, and being a little more skeptical/inquisitive of doctors advice.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:20 pm

I got saline irrigation idea orginally from National Jewish many years ago & brought it to the allergist. He asked if he could copy it & at the next appointment, he was giving the copies out to patients. I should have charged him! Now ENT's & many primary care docs. are suggesting saline irrigation. Beats taking an antibiotic -- esp. for us C. differs.

Some sinus infections can be serious bacterial ones, however, & do need an anibiotic. If in doubt, see an ENT. I had a sinus infection treated by Vantin which developed into pneumonia & C. diff. & later other health issues. Now, Vantin is rarely used because of all the C. diff. it caused. (At the time, it was the "drug of choice.")

Glad the irrigation helped. It's "icky" but better than C. diff. I do it twice a day -- more if I have an infection -- like I do now.

mommy2maddi
Regular User

Postby mommy2maddi » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:19 pm

Hi,

I feel your pain! For whatever reason I developed severe allergies and sinus infections after being pregnant with my son last year. I am forced to take allegra-d, flonase, etc. etc. Today my doc added singulair to my regimen. I have a TON of experience with this! I have been on 3 rounds of a z-pak since I had CDiiff last April. Although terrified when having to take them they were going into my chest and I could hardly function--just FYI in case you get desperate. My GI said that is the least offensive of the AB's to take if you HAVE to!

Here are some natural solutions that really have worked for me in fighting off my chronic sinus infections. I see a homeopathic doctor and oddly enough I used to be a pharmaceutical rep. So having said that here goes. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

1. get a neilmed (saline squirt bottle sold at walgreens) go to whole foods, trader joes, wherever and buy GRAPEFRUIT SEED EXTRACT--liquid drops. Fill up the saline bottle top the top with warm (not cold and not scalding) and add the saline pack then add 3-4 small drops of the grapefruit seed extract. BE WARNED GFSE is EXTREMELY POWERFUL DO NOT ADD MORE THAN I AM TELLING YOU IT WILL BURN YOUR NOSE. It is a natural antibiotic. REPEAT THIS REGIMEN 1st thing in the morning in the shower, mid-day if you can and then before bed! Also steam up the shower.

2. Get the Mucinex DM--the one that you only take once per day.

3. GO to any store (call ahead to see if they have it) BRaggs apple cidar vinegar. Get a small shot glass or glass and put 3 TBS of the apple cidar vinegar and a spash of water. Chug it fast! Do this 1st thing in the morning, mid-day and before bed. (I swear by this stuff)!

4. Tylenol cold night time--really helps it has tylenol, antihist, etc. Helps you sleep.

5. Get some VICKS vapor rub, put it on your chest, blow your nose really good and then rub a little bit at the bottom of your nose holes, not inside but at the bottom. This will help you breath at night. Everytime I blow my nose at night I reapply.

6. Really important to turn on a humidifier.

7. Drink plenty of fluids!

I hope this helps! I did all of this and got over bronchitis and a sinus infection 2 weeks ago when my entire family had the same thing and were all on Z-PAKS. I have done this the last few times with sinus infections and it has worked. I hope it helps!

Nicole

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:38 pm

mommy2maddi wrote:
3. GO to any store (call ahead to see if they have it) BRaggs apple cidar vinegar. Get a small shot glass or glass and put 3 TBS of the apple cidar vinegar and a spash of water. Chug it fast! Do this 1st thing in the morning, mid-day and before bed. (I swear by this stuff)!

Nicole

Hi Nicole,
Is a regular brand of Apple Cider Vinegar ok? I bought some recently, and tried this last night, in some water. (Having sinus/chest congestion as well, and am trying natural things) So basically wondering if it has to be the brand you named(I know that brand is organic or something but I cant find it here)
Hoping for a cure.

sks001
Regular Contributor

Postby sks001 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:00 am

Suezer - Just in case Nicole doesn't respond, I'll tell you what I know about Bragg. It is different from regular. Label says it is raw, unfiltered, organic and contains the "Mother" of vinegar which occurs naturally as connected strand-like chains of protein enzyme. Contains no preservatives.

Most health food stores like GNC and many grocery stores carry it. Go to this link and it will tell you where you can find it in your city, surrounding cities, or zip code:

http://www.bragg.com/reseller/retailerl ... ypage.html

To make it more palatable, can add 1 tsp. of honey, maple syrup or blackstrap molasses. Best to use purified water rather than tap.

There are many other uses for Bragg if you Google it. Can also find out more about it on their site.
Sandy
Southeast Michigan

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away".

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:05 pm

I am also wondering about Robitussin and/or Mucinex-are they safe to take" while being treated" for C Diff?

I have also now what appears to be a sinus infection, with some chest congestion as well.(Taking Airborne,breathing steam,usuing nasal rinse)
Hoping for a cure.

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:24 pm

Ihave found that mucinex does dry you out but will not do the work of AB's if it is bacterial get a sputum test quickly to find out. I'd rather stay away from anything that is not natural this Bragg stuff seems appealing as I may try it in getting over this crap I have!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:30 pm

Just "knocked" (fingers crossed) a 3-wk. sinus infection using Mucinex (an expectorant that makes "junk" looser), Echinacea, & saline irrigation 4 X a day, & drinking lots of water.

Check with doc. & pharmacist about taking Mucinex or Echinacea while having active C. diff.

monacat
Contributor

netti pot!!!

Postby monacat » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:40 pm

my experience with the saline thing is that the netti pot works light years better then saline sprays or mists. i dont know why but the saline just moves through the nose far better with the netti pot then with the mist things (which just came back out the same nostril for me-when clogged). you can even pick them up at the local drug stores now aday's and they come with pre packaged portions of saline . add to water, shake and voila!

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:55 pm

I too now fight them off myself rather than rush in for antibiotics. I use the saline rinse too. They are only about $10 now. Musinex is good too but it seems to Mess up my ibs when I take it.

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:02 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. I bought some Zicam,Vicks vapor rub,suda care shower tablets, and some robitussin. Drinking green tea, and keeping up with the Kefir. Also taking Vitamin C tablets,and doing sinus rinses.

Feel a bit better already!

I feel like fly tape for germs, thank you C Diff!

Hope all are doing well,and enjoy the week end.
Hoping for a cure.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”