Anyone tried immunoglobulin?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
cjforrest
New User

Anyone tried immunoglobulin?

Postby cjforrest » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:49 pm

If some of us fail to produce antibodies to C Diff, wouldn't it stand to reason that immunoglobulin might help? Afterall, it contains C Diff antitoxin. Has anyone tried immunoglobulin as part of their therapy? If so, what did you think of it -- was it helpful?

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:14 am

my Doc said it was an option but never went needed to go that far.... I only had once course of Flaggyl/Metro ... He freaked me out when he said I neede to tbe tested for AIDS as I was first so sick and my WBC where over 30K!

cjforrest
New User

Postby cjforrest » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:25 am

My ID hasn't brought it up but I'm thinking about bringing it up next month when I see him. I don't know much about it so I thought I'd inquire here first to see how much info I can get. If anyone knows about how well it works, side effects, etc., I'd like to learn anything I can about it. I think it's administered IV (correct?). If you can direct me to any resources please do. Thanks!

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:05 pm

Read Christina's case histroy and maybe you could pm her. I have read others but don't remember who they were right now.
Amanda

cjforrest
New User

Postby cjforrest » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:50 pm

Thank you Amanda and Roy! The information was most helpful. I was encouraged by Christina's story. I see that her IV immunoglobulin treatment was considered "last resort". Personally, if it gets to that point I'd like to make it my next-to-the-last-resort treatment and save the fecal infusion for my treatment of last resort. I know people here sing its praises, but right now I just can't get past the "ick" factor. I haven't ruled it out but I'm not ready to go there yet.
I think I'll bring up the immunoglobulin next time I see my ID and see what he thinks. It sounds like I'd have to check with my insurance company to see whether they'd cover it as I don't have a few thousand dollars just laying around. Thanks again for responding to my post. The information has given me hope!

ClDif
Regular Contributor

Postby ClDif » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:33 pm

I got IVIGs as well and believe they wareded off a 2nd relapse for me - but no proof of course. Woud do it again in a heartbeat if I had you, despite the risks.... If you put IVIG or immunoglobulins in the search window you should find quite a few more posts on this... Good luck!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:20 pm

See Treatments-IV Immune Globulin. Some of the info. is old, but check with National Jewish for the latest info. (Google it if the info.isn't in Treatments.).

In 8 or 9 yrs., I remember only two people (Christina & Karney - a child) who IVIG "cured."It is expensive, & often insurance doesn't cover it.
No treatment is without risk. But if you think it's for you, "go for it" -- after a lot of research & consults with docs.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”