Abdominal pain

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
bethjo
New User

Abdominal pain

Postby bethjo » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:16 pm

I know lots of people post about this. But. . . I can't seem to stop myself from posting too.

I had c diff during the summer of 2007. I beat it after one course of Flagyl.
I had to take anitbiotics this fall for a tooth and the c diff came back. I just finished a 10 day course of Flagyl (500 mg/3 times a day) yesterday. Almost immediately, I began having sharp abdominal pains again. Do you all think it's back or am I just healing?

Ugh! I just hate this. I can deal with the pain but I hate the worry that it's never going to go away.

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:31 pm

Hi Bethjo,

Are you taking in any yogurt or using any probiotics?
I went throught two courses of Flagyl, the last one finished on Saturday, just 4 days ago. I have more cramping now than I did finishing the first round, but my theory is that the probiotics are doing their job. I certainly hope that is the case anyway.

How severe are your pains?
My C Diff presented intiitally with low back pain,which lead immendiately to the big "D".

Try to recall how you felt when yours first presented, if it is similar to that,dont panic unless of course it gets severe or doesn't subside in a few days.
I take 1 florastor/1 culturell each morning and I do the same at night. I also drink 1 dan active upon waking, and sip on kefir thru out the day.
Oatmeal is good (no sugar/plain) it feeds the good bacteria as well,if you can tolerate it.

I hope your pains are just your system recovering. If not it could be that you may need a 2nd course of Flagyl to knock it out.

The 3 day rule is good, best of luck to you!
Hoping for a cure.

fire7163
Long Time Contributor

Postby fire7163 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:41 pm

Bethjo:

I'm going to agree with Roy and the second test. There are so many possibilites for your pain. It could be that the C-Diff is back, or Divertic... or a Gall Bladder issue and ect. The decision of whether to treat it as C-Diff would be a discussion with you and your Doctor. Most of us have a period of random aches and pains after about of C-Diff, which is totally understandable when you realize the stress that the infection has caused to your colon and bowels. Full blown "D" over exerts all of your bowels and causes strains and other issues with the smooth muscles of your GI tract. The fear of relasping is something that we all carry and deal with. As I said, I'd call the Doctor if it lasts more than a couple of days or gets worse. Hopefully it's just a bump in the road for you.

Fire

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”