Need to take antibiotics for unrelated surgery

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
JohnB
Contributor

Need to take antibiotics for unrelated surgery

Postby JohnB » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:23 pm

I'm going to have unrelated surgery done in a couple months and the surgeon told me he needs to put me on antibiotics for a couple weeks leading up to the day of surgery! He suggested either Cipro, Lequavin, or Flagyl, although he suggested nearly any antibiotic to target anaerobic bacteria could be used. He's aware of my current bout with C. Diff. I told him I can't take Flagyl because I already had a bad reaction to it. He suggested it may also even be possible to take vancomycin for this purpose, which I'm not sure is the best idea either.

I'm still not out of the woods yet as far as C. Diff goes so I'm postponing the surgery for a couple months at least. But is it "safe" to take ABs again so soon? Is there one in particular I should choose that might be safe? Has anyone else taken a general AB only a couple months post-C. Diff? What was the outcome?

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:48 pm

IMHO negative nein, no in my body period unlesss I am dying!

fire7163
Long Time Contributor

Postby fire7163 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:31 pm

John:

I had a major neck surgery done last April, Fused C-5-6-7 and placed a artifical disk in C-7. I discussed the antibiotics with my surgeon and my .
C-diff history. He actuallly suggested Vanco and I've had no issues with relaspes. He said that most surgeons will use vanco if there is a history to support it.

Lot's of luck with your proceedure

Fire

trob25
Regular Contributor

Postby trob25 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:53 am

Early on, it's best you avoid all antibiotics if possible. Out of that list of meds he gave you, I'd say Vanco is probably the safest, considering it is also a C-Diff treatment and has less adverse effects then Flagyl. Those other AB's, Cipro and Levaquin are top C-Diff causers. Cipro caused my C-Diff and it also gave me weird aches and pains and Levaquin is very powerful and I'm told it can cause C-Diff.

I find the use of Cipro and Levaquin odd, I had been on lots of AB's early in my life and I had never heard of either of these, so I'm assuming they are new. I never had a problem with the old tried and true abs like amoxicillian and doxy.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:42 pm

Cirpo & Levaquin are not new. See FAQ-Antibiotics & check with your pharmacist. They are both "middle of the road" in contributing to C. diff. Levaquin was linked to my 2nd case of C. diff.

I'd do all the research you can & see if a "less broad" spectrum could be used & still be effective. I was on IV Vanco. when I had osteomylitis. Possible (but of course "rare") side effects are greatern than the oral form. (Possible hearing loss; kidney problems.).Usually Vanco. is only used by IV for resistant staph infection & orally for C. diff., but I am not a doc. although I wish I got paid like one.)

Some don't have problems with antibiotics afer C. diff. Some do. No way of telling who the fortunate ones will be. Some take oral Vanco. to help prevent another bout of C. diff. I did but it didn't work for me. I was on a Z-pak several years ago for another bout of pneumonia. To everyone's surprise (including my own) it "cured" the pneumonia & no C. diff. Some have developed C. diff. after a Z-pak (zithromycin) however.

I agree with you & the others. Postpone the surgery for awhile -- if you can.

carrie
Regular Contributor

Postby carrie » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:17 pm

I would ask WHY you would have to be on antibiotics before an operation and then I would get a second opinion, it is often just routine practise. I'm not a doctor but if there is no infection why would you take antibiotics before? I will be having laperscopic(sp) surgery this year some time and my surgeon says they give it on the day of surgery to lessen the possibility of infection and he's willing to do it without any antibiotics given my history. He said it is mostly given to prevent a bladder infection from the catheter they insert during the surgery. Is the surgery so invasive that they think there is a high prevelance of infection resulting from the procedure? ASK ASK and then ASK someone else. I wish you the best. If it is necessary get it done, if not put it off for as long as you can.

JohnB
Contributor

Postby JohnB » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:37 pm

The surgery is for an infection, the same infection for which I was given antibiotics for which caused me to get C. Diff to begin with. I think my best bet may be fire's suggestion, to take Vanco. Thank you all.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:41 pm

This is how C-Diff started for me...given prophylatic antibiotics (a cephalosporin I believe) prior to hysterectomy. Had some complications, went back to ER...given more ABs which were NOT needed. Being in the hospital didn't help, either, because my GI later told me that the more toxic strain was "going around" in the local hospitals. My ID doc told me to avoid antibiotics for 6 months to a year; however, my PCP told me I would need to take vanco (can't take flagyl) anytime I had to take an AB in the future.

If you can put it off, I would. Ask why you need the AB. If I'd known then what I do now, I would have refused the prophylatic ABs and put off the surgery!

My best wishes to you,

Karen

BTW...Fire: had the same surgery in the same area you did (part of my left hip bone used for new disc and titanium plate w/screws placed C-7 on 11/9/2001. That was a piece of cake compared to C-Diff!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”