Question about thrush

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
JohnB
Contributor

Question about thrush

Postby JohnB » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:27 pm

The past few days I noticed a fuzzy dryness in the back of my mouth. When I looked in the mirror there was a bunch of white blotches of "gunk" on the back of my tongue. I also had a funny taste in the back of my mouth after drinking some things. I thought it was thrush so I went to the doc who gave me Mycelex (clotrimazole) lozenges to treat it. I just took one and it made me dizzy and a kind of nauseous. I don't want this to make my symptoms worse... is there an alternative that I can use to get rid of this thrush without using this nasty anti-fungal?

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:37 pm

Hi John, How are things going for you ?
I went to the Doctor yesterday for the exact same reason, only he didnt think I had thrush (I have the white tongue and goopy stuff but no pain and there was none on my inner cheeks or so)

He thinks it is due to the dry mouth I had on Flagyl, mixed with a lot of Kefir reidue, since I have been drinking lots of that.

I have been using listerine as mouth wash and some salt/warm water rinses.
Hoping for a cure.

JohnB
Contributor

Postby JohnB » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:04 pm

I'm wondering if it's not thrush at all, because it appeared after I started eating lots of yogurt and upping my probiotic intake. Can yogurt leave a residue like that?

I'll try gurgling with listerine for now. I just don't want to take another medication that I might not even need!

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:21 pm

I also found keeping plent hydrated lessens the white stuff. The meds for C Diff cause dry mouth, at least mine did, throw in alot of Kefir, Yogurt, and it seems logical its just normal residue.

I hear you , I was relieved that I didn;t have thrush, I am in no way wanting to take any meds I dont need either .
Hoping for a cure.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:57 pm

Hi guys. I got thrush during C-Diff. It sounds a lot like what you're describing and the tons of kefir and yogurt I consumed were not the problem...it wasn't kefir/yogurt residue. My doc gave me diflucan for 2 days and I got rid of it. I've read where someone on here said diflucan may not be the best thing during c-diff, but I really don't know. I didn't have any problem with it and I know there are other alternatives... Nystatin?

Hope it isn't thrush, but I'm not certain it's the kefir and yogurt residue either. Just my 2 cents.

Karen

Here's a hyperlink of someone discussing oral thrush after a tongue piercing, and it mentions something about not rinsing with antibacterial mouthwash. Thought it might be helpful, who knows?

http://www.bmezine.com/pierce/05-lips/A ... oralt.html

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:32 am

John
Do a search for Thrush on this site. I believe you will find alternative or effective treatments that way.
Amanda

JohnB
Contributor

Postby JohnB » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:36 am

Thank you all for the info. It appears the the Mycelex is counteracting the Florastor I'm taking and in turn bringing some symptoms back. I was doing so well the past 4 days too. I don't want a stupid anti-fungal med to make me worse again. I'll see if I can get the Nystatin instead since it's just a rinse and not systemic.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”