Prune Juice

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Prune Juice

Postby Suezer » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:51 pm

Is it a safe way to ease constipation,while being treated for C diff?I have had very few BMs since last week I feel rather constipated and am wondering if Prune juice,even a small amount is safe to take .Day 7 on Flagyl, otherwise feeling ok.
Hoping for a cure.

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:56 pm

I don't think I would dare to do prune juice but to each his own. I was told to take Miralax. It is so safe and gentle they even use it for infants.
Amanda

LindaSp
Contributor

Postby LindaSp » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:20 pm

I would ask what your normal schedule was prior to C Diff before taking prune juice. Not everyone has daily ....movements.Just a thought.

Glad you are feeling ok.

My daughter is still taking Vanco , now tapering.
Linda

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:11 pm

Linda,
to answer your question; Normally,per-C Diff I didn't have any regularity, I could go 2-3 days without a BM. I even spent a week in Mexico once and didn't "poo" for the entire time until I got home(unlike many others who have quite the opposite problems while traveling)

I think I am worried mostly if there is bad stuff just sitting in my gut,with C Diff I am always expecting the worse..
Hoping for a cure.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:54 am

Suezer, I had the same "habits" as you prior to C-Diff and like you, I became severely constipated during C-Diff treatment and recovery. My doc told me to use suppositories and/or take Milk of Magnesia. I did both and the latter gave me bad stomach cramps. Once I started increasing my fiber (took that slowly), things got better but I still have problems with it on occasion. Honestly, I would have been afraid of the prune juice, but if you're going to drink it, cut it with half water (warm water is what I was told). Also, drink plenty of water and do some walking if possible...that will help. Looking back, these two things worked the best. I've found any type of juice to be a stimulant, so go easy on the prune if you drink it.

Best of luck to you and please let us know how you're doing!

Karen

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:26 am

Thank you for the replies, I really appreciate the input. Well I took one sip of the Prune juice and my "gut" instinct was not to go there. So I put it back in the refridgerator and opted instead for some pear chunks(canned) I had eaten some at breakfast as well, and the good news is that things got moving, and they were, I mite add normal-finally.
It is somewhat relieving (in more ways than one )

I have been eating oatmeal (apple/cinnamon -low sugar) baked chicken breasts,mashed potatoes,lean turkey lunchmeat on bread w/ lite mayo, 3 oz of kefir once a day and 1 activia or other yogurt a day. I have been throwing in the pears now due to my earlier stated problem.
I am listing my dietary intake basically because I know people will search these things..as I have spent more time on this forum seeking information than I expected. It really is helpful, and I am truly glad there is a place for us to turn to, because this is really a scarey thing to go through and Doctors almost seem as clueless/scared of this illness as we are in the beginnings.

Thanks again,

//S.
Hoping for a cure.

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:13 pm

Thanks Roy, that did make me smile =)

I have a bit of a question about when to return to work. I applied for a Medical leave, the Dr. has me off until Monday (return on Monday) but she said if I dont feel well, to not go in. Also as of Monday I would be off a total of 12 days. My short term disability would not kick in until day 15.

In that case if I were off 15 days, went back to work (and god forbid) would relapse, I would still be covered by Short term disability.

I am so worried I will go back and have a future problem and have to go through a new 15 day waiting period, with no pay (used all sick pay available with this so far) I am a widow and I live check to check,with my son who is unemployed and getting a low unemployment benefit.
I am feeling "ok" at this point but am still weak and a bit achey.
I take my last dose of Flagyl today also.

I just want to know what others have done in this situation or what they may suggest. I am not anticipating a relapse, but I do also know the reality of this disease, and am hoping for the best while preparing for the worse if you can understand that.
Wasn't sure where to post this since I dont want to spam the board so I just asked this here,thanks for any input in advance.
Hoping for a cure.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”