Anyone take alprazolam

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Anyone take alprazolam

Postby Suezer » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:07 pm

I have terrible night time anxiety with this illness, usually near bed time. I have a rx for alprazolam I am wondering if this is safe to still take while on Flagyl.
It was prescribed for anxiety originally.

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:56 pm

This drug is the generic for xanax and I personally feel I would have already went NUTS without it. It is a godsend. It also wards off the cramping if taken as soon as they start (or at least for me). Be thankful you got it and do not hesitate to take it. It is suppose to be addictive if taken for long periods of time but if you have a need for it.........the only problem with addiction is the inability to get it........and if you truly need it and the doctor knows it.....there is no problem.
Cindy

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:18 pm

I would check with a gastro dr on this. My gastro dr says absolutely nothing that slows down the GI tract... i.e pain meds, cramping medicines... should be taken during active c diff. It raises the risk of toxic megacolon and I am sure xanax would be on my dr's no list because it relaxs the stomach muscles therefore not letting the toxins get out as quickly as needed.
Amanda

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:59 am

"A" or Xanax is something I have been taking for about ten years but "ONLY AS NEEDED!" I highly recommend it for anxiety, heart palpatations, attacks, insomnia etc... Yes I think it helps relax the stomach too BUT I do know for a fact I couldn t have made it w/o during my 1 yr battle with the Diff. At least give it a try IMHO

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:39 pm

I took a valium occasionally during the day (not every day) and at night clonazepam to help me sleep. They were a tremendous help. I did have to come of of my antidepressant (Nortriptyline) completely that I had been taking for years. After C Diff, I went back on the nortriptyline :-)

whitepine
Regular Contributor

Postby whitepine » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:26 am

Xanax is fine, I have seen a ton of gastros while I have had c.diff and they all say it is helpful, and not a problem. it's one of the only meds that helps, not hurts. Helps cramps, pain, nausea, and lets you get some sleep too. I've been on it as needed for 4 years and never had a problem stopping, just take it when needed. Sometimes thats for 2 weeks every day 3x per day, then none for a month, then a pill whenever needed.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”