Is this the result of Flagyl?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
JohnB
Contributor

Is this the result of Flagyl?

Postby JohnB » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:49 am

Hi, I just finished my first 10-day course of Flagyl. And although it got rid of the symptoms somewhat, it didn't get rid of them completely. I''m two days off it now and the symptoms are starting again. I see my doctor tomorrow and I will get the results of my stool sample test then.

One thing I'm concerned about is that tonight I starting getting these tingling sensations throughout my body. The tingling seems to run over my whole body and last a few seconds at a time. Is this something to be concerned about? Is this peripheral neuropathy and is there anything I can do about it?

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:32 am

JohnB,
Could be side effect of Flagyl. Many can't tolerate it, but it's far cheaper than Vanco. -- which is probably why most docs. start patients on it.
Check your insurance re. Vanco. -- every expensive. -- but less side effects for many.

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:58 pm

Flagyl CAN have awful side effects...definitely don t use it looong term! Google the drug and you ll see, but IT IS a necessary evil in that it along with Vanco are the only effective drugs AB's against it and as Bobbie said as well as Docs Vanco is the LAST line of defense! Try to stick itout I have been there and done that unless you think it is a sever allergic reaction then get to the Doc or at LEASt call them!

JohnB
Contributor

Postby JohnB » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:10 pm

I'm actually off the Flagyl but didn't get the tingling feeling until the day after I stopped it. I do have a little tingling in my hands which seems to be common. It seems to mess with the nervous system in general. I've sort of realized now what happened. I was getting pins and needles sensations and a sinking feeling in my stomach which I'm familiar with as being panic attack symptoms. So I'm having mild panic symptoms but without the attack. It seems to be just the result of the Flagyl affecting the nervous system. It did seem to have done its job (currently no diarrhea, yay) but I did experience a lot of the side effects, so I don't intend to ever take it again.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:29 pm

I'm with you, I am never taking Flagyl again. I was so sick on it the second time I took it that I couldn't eat at all.

FYI, it's best to have a stool sample done after you have been off of Flagyl or vanco at least 10 - 14 days. Otherwise you risk getting a false negative test result.

monacat
Contributor

flagyl

Postby monacat » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:33 pm

I managed 8 days on it with the most horrible side effects. hairy tongue, swollen throat and then finally on day 8 my head started to tingle and i bagan the worst panic attack of my life(dont have them normally). tried again the next day and the head started to tingle again and i stopped them.
i am now on my 2nd round of vanco and doing the tapering. started today.
this illness is torture. i found that when i wasnt on vanco that the combonation of a good probiotic, florastor and questren helped me soooooooo much. i was very sick throughout november and earlier december but this combo actually made me feel somewhat normal again (of course i still had it but had to produce a positive test and here i am again.)
good luck, my thoughts go out to everybody who has this.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:09 am

monacat,
Welcome to the group that no one wants to join. Be sure to read All Users Read This First, Dr. Borody's article, Dr. McDonald's article (in the FAQ section under Articles by Experts), and all areas in FAQ that interest you.

They tell me that everyone beats cdiff eventually. You will too. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”