OK, more questions, h pylori + c-diff?! It's complicated!

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
markjs
New User

OK, more questions, h pylori + c-diff?! It's complicated!

Postby markjs » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:59 pm

I think it's possible, even likely that I have been carrying h pylori. I had ulcers at age 17, (1987) and that's before they even knew bacteria could survive the climate of the stomach. They gave me Tagamet and I got better, but it is entirely possible I still have it. The only thing I don't know is if Vancocin kills it? If it does than it's possible I do not have it. Either way, it's a problem because I have to wait for the h pylori test, and in the mean time I am undergoing a six week course of Vancocin. Trouble is that h pylori is usually treadted with two antibiotics and a proton pump inhibitor, which make idea conditions for c-diff, IF in fact h pylori is not treatable with Vancocin.

All I know is I am into the third day of Vancocin, and feeling better from my c-diff, (I have general malaise upon waking dues to it) but the gas is still bad and because of the upcoming h pylori test I am off the proton pump inhibitor I normally take which gives me severe hearburn!

AAAARRRRGGHHHH!!!

whitepine
Regular Contributor

Postby whitepine » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:59 am

H.pylori can be treated with flagyl (metronidazole) plus a PPI. I remember when i had it (prior to c.diff) I took the amoxiciilin, Biaxin and prevacid there is also a treatmetn with flagyl and tetracycline. You might want to try taking mastic gum or manuka honey, they have been shown to kill h.pylori. mastic gum helped me with mine. I would make 100% sure you actually have ACTIVE h.pylori and get a stomach biopsy for it. Blood tests show past exposure unless it is a high IgM i believe.

markjs
New User

Postby markjs » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:51 pm

It's a breath test, then a biopsy if need be....

I was just wondering if Vancomycin killed it because if so I should be free of it by now or within a few days at least.

Allison
Administrator

Postby Allison » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:56 pm

"I was just wondering if Vancomycin killed it..."

No. Vanco targets only gram-positive bacteria. The standard treatment for H. Pylori is often combination therapy with at least one ab that specifically targets gram-negative.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”